permaculture - [permaculture] mosquitos vegetation ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Glober <david.glober@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] mosquitos vegetation ponds
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 20:00:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi - we have a street-corner urban-lot permaculture garden that's quite
popular
but with a new pond going in and lots of vegetation including large
leafy-overhang squash plants that love the two-year-old sheet mulch, we may
be
contributing to an increase in mosquitoes. Or maybe not, hard to tell,
because a
lot of late-season sun in our parts last year, with an uptick (no pun
intended)
in mosquitoes and other critters such as fleas.

Would appreciate any tips on sourcing / controlling while also encouraging
food
growing and a whole-design ecosystemic approach to permie gardening.

thanks,

David Glober ~ San Francisco
Permaculture Design Cert Grad
Volunteer, 18th and Rhode Island Permaculture Garden
david.glober@yahoo.com

---