permaculture - [permaculture] WebID, FOAF, The Semantic Web, Permaculture, Biointensive, Regenerative Agriculture, Ecological Land Use, Human Habitat and Community Building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] WebID, FOAF, The Semantic Web, Permaculture, Biointensive, Regenerative Agriculture, Ecological Land Use, Human Habitat and Community Building
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:55:29 -0500

I just found out about WebID and FOAF to add to my interest in the Semantic Web, wikis, db's and other assorted web apps and resource development tools currently in use. Is anyone else interested in these things? Here are other ideas:

My main interest is what I call EcoLandTech, i.e. permaculture, biointensive regenerative agriculture, ecological land use and human
habitat and community building. For a long time I have been interested in developing a digital information-sharing network for the global community interested in these things. Part of this involves creating a databse (MySQL/php), a wiki (using MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki, blogs, mailing lists, webforums, bookmark sharing resources (Diigo), ftp, an assortment of integrated Google resources and websites. People creating digital media (images, video, audio, text, pdf, html, etc) could export their work into any or all of these web-based, interactive, publically accessable, resources to stimulate and develop an ongoing long term collaboration of people from all over the world, empowering them and stabilizing their lives and helping to build community.

The Semantic Web may play an important role in developing more complete and enhanced access to and exchange of information across the web.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Semantic_Web
Semantic Web is a group of methods and technologies to allow machines to understand the meaning - or "semantics" - of information on the World Wide Web.[1] The term was coined by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) director Tim Berners-Lee.[2] He defines the Semantic Web as “a web of data that can be processed directly and indirectly by machines.”
http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Main_Page
The Semantic Web is the extension of the World Wide Web that enables people to share content beyond the boundaries of applications and websites. It has been described in rather different ways: as a utopic vision, as a web of data, or merely as a natural paradigm shift in our daily use of the Web. Most of all, the Semantic Web has inspired and engaged many people to create innovative semantic technologies and applications. semanticweb.org is the common platform for this community.
You can extend semanticweb.org. Make sure that your favourite semantic tool, event, or ontology is here!
http://semanticweb.org/wiki/Ontology
Ontologies are considered one of the pillars of the Semantic Web, although they do not have a universally accepted definition. A (Semantic Web) vocabulary can be considered as a special form of (usually light-weight) ontology, or sometimes also merely as a collection of URIs with an (usually informally) described meaning.
Ontologies on semanticweb.org are usually assumed to be accompanied by some document in a formal ontology language, though some ontologies do not use standardised formats for that purpose. A list of documents that are considered ontologies in this wiki is given below.

FaceBook is for transient information; what is needed is a social network with a highly accessable, interactive, archive of all types of digital information.

Here's what I found out about FOAF and WebID:
FOAF
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
This specification describes the FOAF language, defined as a dictionary of named properties and classes using W3C's RDF technology.
FOAF is a project devoted to linking people and information using the Web. Regardless of whether information is in people's heads, in physical or digital documents, or in the form of factual data, it can be linked. FOAF integrates three kinds of network: social networks of human collaboration, friendship and association; representational networks that describe a simplified view of a cartoon universe in factual terms, and information networks that use Web-based linking to share independently published descriptions of this inter-connected world. FOAF does not compete with socially-oriented Web sites; rather it provides an approach in which different sites can tell different parts of the larger story, and by which users can retain some control over their information in a non-proprietary format.
WebID
http://esw.w3.org/WebID
What is a WebID?
A WebID is a way to uniquely identify a person or other entity, such as a company, an organization, a web site, or other resource. The term "WebID" was coined by Dan Brickley and Tim Berners-Lee in 2000.
http://getwebid.org/spec/drafts/ED-webid-20100809/index.html
WebID 1.0
Web Identification and Discovery
Social networking, identity and privacy have been at the center of how we interact with the Web in the last decade. The explosion of social networking sites has brought the world closer together as well as created new points of pain regarding ease of use and the Web. Remembering login details, passwords, and sharing private information across the many websites and social groups that we are a part of has become more difficult and complicated than necessary. The Social Web is designed to ensure that control of identity and privacy settings is always simple and under one's control. WebID is a key enabler of the Social Web. This specification outlines a simple universal identification mechanism that is distributed, openly extensible, improves privacy, security and control over how one can identify themselves and control access to their information on the Web.

  • [permaculture] WebID, FOAF, The Semantic Web, Permaculture, Biointensive, Regenerative Agriculture, Ecological Land Use, Human Habitat and Community Building, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/07/2011