permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On the destruction of my landscape's ecosystems: a minor elegy in a melancholy key

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On the destruction of my landscape's ecosystems: a minor elegy in a melancholy key
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 20:44:54 -0500

On 1/6/2011 7:53 PM, Bob Waldrop wrote:
Below is a little essay I just published regarding the results of
today's visit of code inspectors to my property in Oklahoma City.

Bob Waldrop, Romero Catholic Worker, Oklahoma City

http://www.bobwaldrop.net/?p=417

When I moved to 1524 N 21 in Oklahoma City, there were flat mostly empty
lawns. Now a mini-urban eco-system flourishes. It is beautiful, it is
interesting, even during the depths of winter. But alas for me and my
little niche of the ecology during this age of peak oil denial, beauty
is in the eye of the beholder, and not all beholders are created equal.
Some of them carry guns and may compel obedience to their own personal
visions of urban beauty and land use.
In case you haven't figured it out, the code inspectors have been here
for a visit. And suddenly, things that have pretty much been fine for a
decade are violations. No appeal, no argument, no nothing. They have all
the guns on their side, and that is a powerful argument.

Never fear, Bob. You are in good company here in this list. I share your rage. My fine neighbor fought patriotically in the Korean and Vietnam wars. He is from Oklahoma and tells me that there are some of the dumbest hicks on the face of the Earth living there. Evidently some of those types have infested your local government. What a glorious mindset, teaparty on steroids if that is possible. High tea at 4PM will never be the same...the name of a delightful afternoon break from work tainted by abysmally ignorant bottom feeders.

I think some folks living in third world countries plying their traditional trade, enjoying their comfortable simple, frugal lifestyles must look at us here in the USA with great pity, and a laugh or two.

Roll on relentless, Bob, you have my full support and undivided attention.

Lawrence