permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] soil organic matter in tropical vs. temperate soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, <sanet-mg@lists.ifas.ufl.edu>, <sals3@cox.net>, <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] soil organic matter in tropical vs. temperate soils
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 02:52:51 +0000

A-Ho Sal-

After all, isn't Protracted and Thoughful OBSERVATION one of the most useful
principles of permaculture? Even Elaine Ingam relies on looking at the soil
and the compost to tell its health. 70% cacao is the benchmark, your compost
and soil should look like dark chocolate and smell rich. If it doesn't yet-
add organic matter, simple. Add as many different types of OM you can find,
all the "weeds" and such are doing their job of creating soil, just help em
along a little by assisting in their decomposition. Plants will tell you
what they need, and the types of "weeds" you have
is a good indicator on what micro-nutrients may be lacking in your
soils, or what nutrients are in excess.

IMHO- lab analysis can help to determine micronutrient deficiencies in soils,
something that is harder to spot by just looking. Microscope analysis is
definitely useful in determining the ratios of micro-critters in your soils-
which determines plant health. But if you don't have one, oh well.

My take home message from all lab analysis I have heard from, SFW and other
more traditional labs, is the same- add organic matter. Preferably diverse
compost. The diversity of feedstock determines the diversity of critters-
bacteria, fungus, protozoa. Knowing what eats what helps too... and we are
back to Observation- maybe with a microscope this time...

Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org