permaculture - [permaculture] Regarding Chines Pheasants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bryce Ruddock" <bruddockjr@wi.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Regarding Chines Pheasants
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 09:29:03 -0600

About a hundred years ago pheasants were brought to the US from China for
use as a game bird. The type brought in were referred to as Manchurian
pheasants.
My grandfather and my dad used to hunt them in Michigan back 70 years ago.
Here in Wisconsin there is a DNR game farm near Poynette where pheasants are
raised for release into the wild. They seem to be very susceptible to
diseases and also have a high mortatlity in cold winters. While they are
still raised and released here I have not seen many lately. Perhaps that is
due to increased suburbanization but I doubt it since we live on the edges of
the metro area and everyday I pass through ideal habitat for pheasants. Nice
video by the way and thank you for sharing.
Bryce Ruddock, South Milwaukeee, Wisconsin
>From cobanation@yahoo.com Sun Jan 2 12:34:45 2011
t93989683; bh=GXn9d/EKshTyAiZYP8c6iYqkcKbWySbIs2ATDcNcz8g=;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=SZW3nq53Sx++FVna6fozwCgFsE89TxuSvBdFiqbX4EmUabgufxg+qMyHpQGYxxX4biUJ4rfw120agHqvdsuMHgzr14tQfpzd4omHCN087qymfmlzA5bTzmOwlY456dyyhzHPoTOxZHFH22a2vJ6Cq/dVQzKRDPaDvgFzIaf3dzQDomainKey-Signature:
a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

båw+gTzHjiirHkckfxl0m3kQnXj6gsypX5d+h7WElY2mpFjRTv3r8UUjYi0wNzs/zO0E3ylhfOcdkfT5pm1yTf5+hc2qPTB/ZL13KE3rKNMUNHFrZOehzcz3Dkk6Ud6h4rK4+hAK0AEt+nEYCzfPKrvmPd/sDZzqaE+3aoqWl4k=;