permaculture - [permaculture] More on S510

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] More on S510
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:19:55 -0500

http://wholefoodusa.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/food-control-bill-snagged-fishing-to-control-small-family-farms-and-real-food-producers/

(snip)
You must "apply" to be included in the "protections" of the Tester amendment. You must substantiate through your records for three years that you fit the category of selling more than "50% of average annual monetary value" within this 275-mile radius. So, if you sell on the roadside or at a farmers market, you must have a map handy and ask for ID from everyone who purchases from you or lose your exemption.

close examination of S. 510 reveals that the FDA acquires even more power than before to shut down family farms on a whim. But, as I write this, the few provisions that give some protections to small-scale farmers are under attack by Big Ag, which doesn't want to give your local food producers an inch of wiggle room.

The bill also empowers federal agencies to impose international guidelines and standards on domestic food producers -- molding American food production into an unhealthy globalist Codex system.

And in these tough economic times, S. 510 will drive up the costs of food production by adding more layers of government interference.

*We continue to believe that S.510 is NOT in the best interests of small farmers, and especially raw milk farmers.* Even though the Tester-Hagan Amendment makes important improvements in the bill, S.510 remains fundamentally flawed.

The core problem is that S.510 will significantly increase the power of the FDA. In response to our suit challenging the ban on raw milk in interstate commerce, the *FDA stated on public record <http://www.ftcldf.org/litigation-FDA-status.htm> that the American people have no "fundamental right to their own bodily and physical health" and "do not have a fundamental right to obtain any food they wish"*.
--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Local Growers Guild <http://www.localgrowers.org/>
- Permaculture & Regenerative Design News Blog <http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/>
- Permaculture Politics Blog <http://permaculturepolitics.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- TransitionBloomington.org <http://transitionbloomington.org/>

- TransitionBloomington.ning <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative <http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog <http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar <http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>
- Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way <http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower>

  • [permaculture] More on S510, Keith Johnson, 12/05/2010