permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cultural diversity in PDCs (was official cert)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cultural diversity in PDCs (was official cert)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:40:33 -0700 (PDT)

You have of course Geoff Lawton, Darren Doherty and many others who go to
culturally diverse areas to teach. I create cultural diversity in PDCs, by
holding them in culturally diverse areas (Little Haiti in Miami, Pine Ridge,
etc), by offering scholarships to people to ensure there is a socio-economic
mix, and by ensuring the content of the course is culturally sensitive and
relevant. And by visiting minority communities and introducing permaculture
in a culturally relevant manner, understanding what problems are considered
important by observing and asking. And doing projects in minority areas,
which is very powerful because then they see for themselves how it works and
get their own creative ideas about it and expand on it. I know a number of
permaculturists focused on cultural diversity, they are definitely out there!
 There can always be more though!  C