permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] News from the other side

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] News from the other side
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:40:10 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] News from the other side
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:15:37 -0500
From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@GMX.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

After Neal Van Milligen posted:

New Study Shows Benefits of Bt Corn to Farmers

Lawrence responded:

This is a sustainable agriculture forum so why are you posting
this ... here.

I thought sanet-mg was a place to learn HOW TO FARM SUSTAINABLY
AND ORGANICALLY

As you know, SANET = Sustainable Agriculture Network. And if the
transgenic crop apologists insist that GM is Sustainable, you might
want to explain why they aren't:

1.- They're Anti-Evolutionary
The creation of transgenic seeds short-circuits the safeguards
built into the reproductive mechanisms that give rise to life as
we know it over the course of 3.5 billion years.

2.- They are a result of a Technology that's out of (and can't be)
controlled, the results of which can't even be predicted.

The alien genes can not be placed in the conventional genome
with any degree of accuracy.

The alien gene displaces the genes of the conventional genome in
unknown ways (which they don't even look for).

And the genome of the genetically modified organism has been
found to be unstable (it will continue to shift over time).

Pollen from a transgenic crop will travel over distances far
greater than those claimed, meaning both conventional and
organic crops and wild plants will INEVITABLY be contaminated.
Coexistence is IMPOSSIBLE.

3.- The core concepts supporting the claims made by the Transgenic
Industry are erroneous:

They don't cost less (as Chuck Benbrook proved).

They aren't substantially equivalent and haven't been shown to
be innocuous. (Ask Ivonne Kochey).

They have falsified the results of their research and refuse to
submit their data to peer review (claiming competitive secrets).

No consumers will eat them, if given a chance to choose.

The Genome is NOT a blueprint for a living organisms (see Barry
Commoner and Mae Ho on this).

They fail to even consider the effects of synthetic Bt toxins on
the Soil Food Web.

Industry stooges claim that gene flow is a natural phenomena
WHICH IS TRUE - AMONG PROKARYOTES (not Eukaryotes like plants
and people).

Transgenic crops have often succumbed to pests other than those
targeted;

Targeted pests have rapidly developed resistance to Bt and weeds
have developed resistance to glyphosphate (as have other wild
plants present).

4.- Monsanto et al have demonstrated that what they do best is
manipulate the governmental agencies charged with overseeing
public health and the environment, the mass media (who they are
know to threaten) and the Universities (who they are know to
bribe)

They also attack and attempt to discredit any researcher that
blows the whistle (that publishes research results unfavorable
to their interests).

And they take farmers to court whose crops were contaminated by
the synthetic genes they have patented.

Not my kind of people and not my kind of agriculture.

And governments that fail to call them to task are not my kind of
governments. (Vote them out of office).

And that was just off the top of my head (things I already know to
be true).

There is NO WAY that transgenic crops can provide any lasting
benefits to farmers (ask them in India), much less to consumers.

Transgenic seeds constitute a gigantic hoax and the industry's
manufacturers, patent owners, distributors and promoters have
assumed that they will be capable of imposing their lies (and will)
on the rest of society and the world at large. They think we are
stupid or weak. They are wrong.

It won't last. The truth will be known. And the people will respond
and throw the bums out.

Assimilate this and help do that. (you can also rely on i-sis.org
biotech-info.net -benbrook-, gmwatch.org, the consumers union, the
union of concerned scientists and others to provide you with well
documented data).

--

Douglas