permaculture - Re: [permaculture] plant succession in aquaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jonathan Storvick <jstorvick@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] plant succession in aquaculture
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:52:21 -0400

You might want to try searching for "wetland succession" - while you might
not get a list of species per se, you will get a lot of info on niche
characteristics which you can then translate into species that can fill
those niches. Most of what I've seen suggests that over time, plant biomass
& sediment runoff fill the pond, new species move in, and eventually it
becomes hydric forest.

Wetland Ecology
http://forest.mtu.edu/classes/fw4220/wetlands/WetlandEcology%2806%29.pdf

Primary Succession in a Created Freshwater Wetland
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4060/is_200409/ai_n9415475/

Wetland Succession
http://www.torontozoo.com/adoptapond/curriculum/c1-ecology-background.html#succession

There are tons of other references out there, these are three decent ones
that I took a brief peek at.

Cheers,

Jon