permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Animals back to small farms was Re: News from the other side

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Animals back to small farms was Re: News from the other side
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:34:20 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:34:58 -0400
From: Rich Molini <richmo@INDY.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Keep hammering on bringing animals back to small farms in the midwest. That is the only way that we can have wonderful 5 and 6 (non veggie) crop rotations like 3 years hay, 2 pasture, corn (no soy),oats or buckwheat in the spring (for winter supplement for calves and cows) with legume undersow for late summer pasture, next barley,wheat or rye ( for the poultry )with good hay mix (not just alfalafa)undersow to start anew. What a treat for diversified wildlife, insects and the hives. Corn borers like other manufactured pest infestations find it hard to be pandemic when their homes are gone for 7 or 8 years.

Winter manure can be composted or aged for your market garden or other high fertility applications and the extra winter manure can be sold down the road to the vegetable folks who do not want to deal with livestock. Animals complete the fertility cycle and we can not have the infrastructure needed for sustainable agriculture without them.

I never had a problem with CB even before bt. 150 and better open pollinated bu/acre with no input other than fuel and a little diatomaceous earth for
winter preservation. Sustainable organic 150 likely converts to agribusiness 250 because of seed, fertilizer, and pesticide costs. Every time we try to outsmart some other more well adapted organism, we prove that extra synapses do not ensure species survival especially when a number of those electrical connections center on greed and wealth concentration.

Later,
Rich

  • [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Animals back to small farms was Re: News from the other side, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/20/2010