permaculture - [permaculture] wind power without the blades

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranandDave Nokes <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] wind power without the blades
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:32:22 -0500

Great points, Doug!
And very timely to this day and age we live in where so much has become
commercialized.
Thanks kindly for sharing.
Frances

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:08:05 -0400
From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: Wow! Wind Power Without the Blades

From the drawings, these devices would sterilize a lot of land
apparently much more so than conventional wind turbines.

One would expect the wands to hit each other. Even if they didn't, one
would expect materials fatigue to be a factor.

There is nothing about testing and cost analysis. The relative merit
especially of wind power devices is all about cost of power over time.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau said of invention in general:

"Inventer, c'est rien.
Construire, c'est peu.
Essayer, c'est tout."

"To invent is nothing.
To build is a little.
To try out is everything."

I see there is a link to another wind power idea, a shrouded turbine: an
idea which has been tried many times and always found to cost more than
building a bigger turbine for the same power. There is nothing about a
test of the design...

I'm sorry to seem like such a downer, but I have seen so much of this
kind of stuff: wide-eyed enthusiasm for a concept with no knowledge of
its past, no testing, and no theoretical basis in the absence of
testing. Conceptual designers who know nothing about a field had better
have good reasons.

This kind of "news" seems to be about ad hits. I find it as distasteful
as other kinds of deceptive money-grubbing.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

  • [permaculture] wind power without the blades, FranandDave Nokes, 10/20/2010