permaculture - Re: [permaculture] http://www.permaculture.info permaculture.info the Permaculture Wiki is back online!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] http://www.permaculture.info permaculture.info the Permaculture Wiki is back online!
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 01:42:36 -0400

On 9/7/2010 11:19 PM, Chris Watkins wrote:
Great news, thanks Lawrence. Glad to see that the work that
contributors have put on can be built on and shared again.

Looking at the front page:

"In this wiki community members are using principles of permaculture
design to build a base of knowledge for designing human habitats" -
I'll be interested to see what that looks like in practice, and
whether there are ideas there for the structure of Appropedia.org. Or
perhaps someone can give some feedback on Appropedia's structure -
www.appropedia.org/Appropedia:CategoryTree - we've put in a lot of
work on the categories, but they can definitely be improved. But that
could be a whole other thread.

Open source wiki knowledge FTW!

Chris

Thanks for the feedback and browsing the wiki, Chris.
As Mollison said, the only limit to creating a permaculture design is
one's imagination.

Taking that literally, here are a few of my thoughts about using wikis for collaboration on permaculture designs and design theory and implementation of those designs in the field:

A permaculture knowledgebase, used for designing human habitats, should ultimately be a direct reflection of what is seen or to be seen on the ground. Using a wiki to develop such a knowledgebase offers users a magnificent tool for exploring a vast array of useful possibilities,
ones that arise from their research, experience and observation and collaboration with others.

In a wiki that becomes a knowledgebase-in-development one could have a magnificent interactive, coevolving whiteboard. Write up an idea for some aspect of a permaculture system you want to build on a site, upload drawings and photos, videos, audio to accompany it,
submit it for peer review, feedback and collaboration then print it out, take it to the field and begin work. Document the work and add that to the knowledgebase. In the meantime others might have submitted resources that apply to other facets of your project, ones that could help you develop a comprehensive, cohesive plan, linking elements and systems in your design for maximum compatibility and function and survivability.

If one spends much time developing a system on a site, such as a vegetable garden, ideas derived from an interactive knowledgebase could help one fine tune such a system in ways never imagined. To my way of thinking, this offers enormous long-term possibilities, would work very well and could even work wonders.

It has been my intention to document the entireity of my farm/permaculture site in the form of raw material to organize according to the principles of permaculture within a wiki, later adding data plus information gleaned from observation for substance, subsequent analysis and discovery of new useful knowledge, new methods, equipment and materials, proof of established methods, guild information, tips, tricks, tools, how-to and techniques for community use.

Every time I get into this I am overwhelmed with the power, diversity and potential of permaculture. No wonder so many folks are nuts about it; so many that Paul Wheaton had to create a special forum for them! <:-)>.