permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sustainable agricultural methods vs. unsustainable/chemical/gmo-based agriculture (if you can even call it agriculture)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sustainable agricultural methods vs. unsustainable/chemical/gmo-based agriculture (if you can even call it agriculture)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:13:03 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:57:40 -1000
From: Hector Valenzuela <hectoruh11@GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

As it stands today conventional GM corn growers can not make it on their
own, without the annual tax-payer subsidies. Overall the GM crops industry is subsidized at a level of ca $15 billion. This is certainly not 'economic sustainability.'

The direct subsidies to the GM crops industry do not include indirect
'subsidies'-- the medical and environmental costs from poor diets
(subsidized fast-food), pesticide and possibly GM residues on food, and
environmental clean-up of aquifers, soils, and other aquatic habitats. These are costs that we are currently charging to our environmental & human health 'credit cards,' and that will have to be paid by future generations.

Based on this, the assessment of purely biomass yields (bushels/acre)
becomes irrelevant. Perhaps we should incorporate other parameters to assess yields ---such as actual value/energy use/health, social, & environmental impact-- and in that case organic yields may be substantially greater than those obtained by conventional GM crops.

On another note, perhaps as a society we should move away from a
'monoculture' diet, move back to a tradition of growing multiple crops on the farm/community, and to a healthier diversified diet.

Hector
Univ. Hawaii at Manoa