permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The soils of war (and PEACE)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The soils of war (and PEACE)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

I hear you Nicholas, I'm aware of all of this. In no way do I feel army
occupation is a sustainable activity. Historically, it's often been
disastrous for the occupied country.

It's interesting that McGaia groups generally do not call what they do
permaculture. This could change, but usually when these groups co-opt ideas
they alter them and rename them into "corporate-speak." Which is why I wonder
if permaculture as a subject will be compromised even if they do corrupt it.

I feel one of the best remedies for the below is to focus on how ecosystems
operate when educating people on permaculture, and to focus on the damage
done by heavy interventions into local systems, human or non-human.
Broadscale permaculture often involves engineering but it is done with a
thorough understanding of and alignment with how ecosystems work. The Loess
plateau is an example of heavy government/bureacratic intervention which
improved the situation. There are a few like that as well.

There is no doubt that we need to reach people on a deep level if we want
real paradigm change. That is a worthy challenge and one we really don't have
much choice about, if we want liveable habitats. Again, there are inspiring
stories about how just one person was able to make a substantial change in
large, unweildy systems through persistence, eloquence and passion.

Cory

--- On Thu, 8/19/10, Nicholas Roberts, Permaculture.coop