permaculture - [permaculture] RESILIENT COMMUNITY: Forget Afghanistan, These are Needed in Detroit etc.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Patrick <forgeadams@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] RESILIENT COMMUNITY: Forget Afghanistan, These are Needed in Detroit etc.
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2010/08/resilient-community-forget-afghanistan-these-are-needed-in-detroit-etc.html
RESILIENT COMMUNITY: Forget Afghanistan, These are Needed in Detroit etc.

The
US Military Special Operations Command is building eight "mobile
factories" that fit into standard shipping containers.  These factories
are based on the successful experience the US Army has had with
something similar called the MPH.   From Strategypage:The
MPH was developed when the army realized that the easiest way to get
the many rarely requested, but vital, replacement parts to the troops,
was to manufacture the parts in the combat zone. In short order, this
led to the construction of a portable parts fabrication system, called
MPH, that fit into a standard 8x8x20 foot shipping container.
The original version used two containers, but smaller equipment and
more powerful computers eventually made it possible to use one
container.

The key to making this work was the availability of computer
controlled
machine tools, which can take a block of the proper metal, and machine
it into the desired part. The computer controlled machine tools have
been around for decades, but the big breakthrough was the development of
CAD (Computer Assisted Design) software for PCs in the 1980s, which
made the process of designing, and then fabricating, a part much faster.
The MPH has a high speed satellite data link, which enables it to
obtain the CAD file for a part. Many CAD files are already stored in the
MPH. Often, the MPH staff figure out a way to improve a part, based on
the broken parts they see, and what the troops tell them.

In the last six years, MPHs have manufactured over 100,000 parts, on
the spot.
This saves days, or weeks, that it would take to order the part from
the manufacturer, and the MPH part is usually a lot cheaper (because the
air freight and manufacturer mark ups to pay for maintaining the part
in inventory). The next version of the MPH has a 3-D part builder, which uses
metal dust and a laser to build a part.
Hyperlocal manufacturing is real.  Think of
it as one of the economic hearts of a thriving resilient community.
 It's a revolution already in motion, as you can see in the rapid spread
of hackerspaces.  Connect these hackerspaces, and the communities they
serve, with networks that allow people to share, buy/sell, modify, customize,
etc. designs for products/parts, and we are on our a way to a resilient
decentralized economy that can survive the economic dislocation to come.

>From wheaton.p@gmail.com Thu Aug 19 10:11:49 2010
:in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject
:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=QSsUFsjeB+orjimzmGdpc7cmnn1W1/GkUOcXXWoaOSg=;
b=gu7NVRQRXGA5qMw0N7iNAdqWJhXpDhETxXCKJeXnz1TQLZ5uyEdVjiqhSQWOyGyLOb
ozF/hU94ZKJGCvd55hU9We6p5oR3JkExWagC3vePMIYIQ2YYlJi4uRisIv5UE1mbC1BK
0jr552O6bggIf4DadJPh+BN9LcsSswWTZcEJUDomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1;
c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date
:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type
:content-transfer-encoding;
b=fiDQIBoJ8z11QXSualFIfo0xc1y/rOS45H3yAPlJrdWAVNg7o+ovMFsyGsPjBPwDMR
2RP695/CKykEaVO+a+fXejn3SxUouqFBnXUjCcfJN260IFS6htQR+H/cSVcz4JhuSIfd
VZzeur8F/kpSrWR+uhgDaGectd7xPtdF29ZfYMIME-Version: 1.0