permaculture - [permaculture] Design / Ethics / Movement / etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin skvorak <k.skvorak@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Design / Ethics / Movement / etc
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:47:41 -0400

I gotta chime in one more time!

i have much appreciated all the wise input. thanks everyone. (except the
abusers who are a problem for us all)

for clarity, self-defense, and perhaps useful addition to the conversation
(tho i doubt i can do that)

i want to say i resonate alot with chris' post below.

this is essentially my position as well. i didn't create permaculture. i
didn't design it around an ethical foundation. i am simply asking the
question; "what does actually taking PC principles seriously look like in
practice?"

i ask in the first post i ask; "is two out of three enough to be considered
permaculture?"

i do NOT want to be a PC cop. i DO want to understand how we actually,
practically, embody our ethics or not. obviously (to me anyway)
exclusionary capitalist, or facist, or racist groups are NOT following PC
principles/ethics, so can we not simply articulate that? say it out loud?

and how do we offer accountability to each other on these issues? and i
want accountability, or something like it NOT to judge or decide who is good
or who is bad but because i believe "bad" PC - ("bad" in this context
being PC designs, identifcation, "brand" usage etc that does not (even try
to) embody the central ethics) - is a negative reflection on all of us using
the brand. it IS all of our business.

the reality is non-pc people will clearly judge whether a particular PC
identified project in their community is ethical or not, is hypocritical or
not, is only serving elite interests etc, so it would behoove us to in some
way make some of the same judgements, critical analysis, public peer review
etc etc

i wish i was as eloquent as so many others have been on this! i hope this
pint is coming across tho.

kevin

Message: 8