permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture holds hands with US Miltary

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture holds hands with US Miltary
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:38:00 -0700 (PDT)

First, I'd like to thank Scott P. and Geoff Lawton for their life's work.

I use Lawton's work to dispel ignorance and easily convince those who are on
the edge of indecision as to which philosophy to employ(greed or
sustainability). Videos of Lawton's work is just that powerful; Pine Ridge
reservation and other reservations can no longer languish because "we were
put on the worst land". One viewing of "Greening the Desert" starts a dawning
no argument can.

Second, my concern isn't whether or not working with the devil is good or
bad, because I really don't know. I can no longer pretend I know the long
term results of actions taken in the war we are in (our fight for a way to
live free of the poisons of air, water, food, and culture of large
corporations and, by extension, a military known to be used by these same
corporations).

Third, my concern is "co option". The US military is also starting to promote
themselves as the cool place to do hacking in both the Open Source world and
the proprietary world.  Large corporations and their extension, the US
miltary, know they cannot beat Open Source and Permaculture head to head. So
they are joining it. By joining, they intend to infiltrate, water down the
information, cause internal fights amongst solid members, and disseminate
dis-information which will poison methods and limit the effectiveness of
those methods.

How do you think Seed Savers was taken over by Amy G/Monsanto? Do you really
think she came in saying she intended to do the things she did?  No, she said
things all of us like to hear with a few modifications.

So, what am I saying? If you can do work that is stunning like "Greening the
Desert", perhaps it's okay do it at any cost. The payback for the whole world
to see is priceless.

But, Scott, if you can't stand up in front of the US Miltary troops and
co-opt them, or you are given limitations on your work such that if fails/is
less effective, or your work cannot be so powerful it silences ignorance
AROUND THE WORLD, I'm not so sure I'd do it if I had your skill and
knowledge. But that's just me.

We need to recognize co-option when we see it, go ahead and do such good work
that the co-opters are co-opted, but protect your projects from planned
failure. Use methods that can easily be changed to adopt to deliberate
adverse human interference (this will take more careful wise thought than a
usual/normal PD).

PS yes LL I still owe you.

>From venaurafarm@bellsouth.net Wed Aug 11 11:41:18 2010
t81541150; bh=CK0WKCIfSkc8sJOEXRYZuNGtIpVznqhsBGwcwk3sQKw=;

h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:References:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=w+ZWDGnav4wfJUkePyTgjdx1CNd24Pqa4//icN1H7QVQGokmHH1phiJHplSwp6Edq4x4UHKE64F11YIIz9b1CN9KMaz+XmU0YM3p59xS0YfOuwd3l6UGcn25sUC4i9EhQRlTHdYKa+iNNshbycZ34dDnpDHXUiA2aodD3qkWa9IReceived:
from [192.168.1.67] (venaurafarm@65.5.197.216 with plain)
by smtp104.sbc.mail.ac4.yahoo.com with SMTP;
11 Aug 2010 08:39:09 -0700 PDT