permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More on Senate bill S510

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More on Senate bill S510
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 22:11:40 -0400

On 8/9/2010 4:59 PM, Rene Myers wrote:
As I am quite new to the Permiculture community, recently receiving my
PDC, I have been a US Citizen for 36 years. I'd like to acknowledge the
lack of citizens rising up to state their desire and need for clean,
organic, sustainable food. Many communities are growing local and
supporting their local farmers, but these are few and far between. We
are not connecting the dots.
As a means for communication, how are we as a united community able to
disseminate information, particularly the proposed Senate Bill S510, to
non-permies regarding the possibility of growing their own food to be
illegal and that the structure for those crimes have not, nor will be
determined once the bill has passed. Obviously this is only a small
taste of what Bill S510 is offering, yet this is a fundamental ethical
issue of human rights that is being prognosticated against the Citizens
of the United States. "Land of the Free" is no longer on the minds of
the people, but "how can I get more, make more to pay off my debt??
" What avenues do we, as a global PC community have to arm against this
proposed agricultural control by corporations with governmental and
world authority in their "back-pockets". I ask these questions in hopes
that it will generate a discussion and think-tank on methods for
communicating to the non-knowers what is happening with our basic rights
to nutrition and our lives.
In appreciation,
~Wren

Well written support for local small farmers in the USA, Wren and thanks! Just for starters here's a reply I just received from my post about SB510 in one of the Permies.Com forums - I have yet to reply to this but you might want to join Permies.Com, access the forum in question and initiate more discussion on the topic of what are small farmers to do about a bad version of SB510 that might get passed but I doubt it - they have no way to enforce an oppressive version).