permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The soil is an animal...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jono Neiger <neiger@csld.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The soil is an animal...
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:48:02 -0400

Rafter-
I appreciate your bringing this up.

I think, as a generalization, the permaculture crowd is very loose in
attributing where we get our facts, inspiration, and ideas. Really none of
this is new and there is a long lineage of folks who developed much of what
we use and distribute. "The shoulders we stand on"

How many times during a PDC do we mention the Farralones Institute,
Institute for Regenerative Design (JT Lyle), New Alchemy Institute, Rocky
Mt. Institute, Donella Meadows, Buckminster Fuller, Fukuoka and the
dozens-hundreds of other peoples who have forged the way? How many students
leaving a course even know the history-recent and not- of ecological design?

I'd like to see more recognition in our print materials and presentations of
who we can thank for ideas and information. Dates too. And when we come up
with something we can get the recognition we deserve too.

cheers

Jono

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:09 PM, <rafter@liberationecology.org> wrote:

> ...that is everywhere a mouth - and fungi are the teeth!
>
> That's a line I use when I'm teaching about mushrooms.
>
> It's a pretty sweet line, right?
> I just thought I would go ahead and claim it, in public. ;)
>
> It's turning up in the videos and powerpoints of a prominent
> Pc teacher, who heard me say it in May 2007 when I guest
> taught at his PDC course.
>
> We all borrow from each other all the time, I know. I'm just a small fry Pc
> teacher, after all, carving out my own modest niche.
>
> And that's a sweet tag line! Don't worry, I won't try and retroactively
> copyright it. We all know how that goes down... ;)
>
> Feel free to ignore this.
>
> all the best,
> rafter
>

> rafter sass
> Liberation Ecology Project
> liberationecology.org
> 518-567-7407
> skype: raughter

> Google command to search archives:

******************
Jono Neiger
Regenerative Design Group
308 Main St, Suite 2C
Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
413-658-7048
www.regenerativedesigngroup.com

Conway School of Landscape Design
Graduate Program in Sustainable Landscape Planning & Design
www.csld.edu

PINE; Permaculture Institute of the Northeast
www.thepine.org