permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permienews.com - my intentions explained!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sebastien Bacharach <nitrogenfixer@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permienews.com - my intentions explained!
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:07:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

Hmm...

So, I've been working on this permaculture news site for a while, and was
concerned about the day I would post it to the list. I really want to offer
some interesting and fresh content on the site and my main concern was that I
would end up with too many blogs/sites to choose from...

I feel very surprised now and also sad as I've been unsubscribed from a list
I've been on for over 5 years and where I often get some good info and stay
in touch with the permaculture community. I also feel frustrated as I have a
need for respect.  My intention is to contribute and it seems to have been
misunderstood.

Now, I will try to explain what was my intention for creating the site, how
the site works and why I think it actually is a very good thing for the folks
who have 4 direct links to their site on my front page.

My main intention is to provide folks with a one stop website to get a feel
of what's new in the permaculture world. If you know what a news reader is,
it is the same idea. The site "harvests" new posts from all the sites
featured from their RSS feeds.  This makes it easier for the visitor, having
a summary of the news all in one place.

Moreover, my idea is to really promote visits to the sites I get the news
from, and to actually generate more traffic for them. This is why my content
only has the title or a very short teaser. As soon as you click on a link,
you are directed to the original site, and not to an expanded version of the
article that would be on my site. That means that each source site, again,
gets 4 direct links to their site from my front page. For those who know how
Google Search and page ranking works on the web, it is a pretty good
opportunity for those featured blogs/sites!

Now, I want to try to understand what happened for Lawrence and the other
folks who felt offended or scammed....

Maybe Lawrence felt uncomfortable as he did not know me and was surprised by
this new site with a name that is similar to his forums site. Also, he may
have felt offended by the way I phrased my request for well written and
frequently updated content. Maybe he also felt uncomfortable at the idea that
maybe this new site would take visitors away from his forums site.

I want to try to answer on these last points.

The name is the one I found most suitable. I first thought of
freshpermaculture.com like you're going to the Farmers Market for your permie
news... I thought about other names too... And finally I chose
permienews.com. I did not think it would feel offensive to anyone to use the
word permie as it is widely used in the community nowadays...

I asked for well written and frequently updated suggestions because I know of
many permaculture sites myself, and I can only feature so many of them.
Because I want this site to be interesting for everyone visiting it, I am
honest in saying that only the ones with the good stuff will make it. The
site gets automatically updated every 30 minutes and it is looking for news.
Sites that only get updated infrequently would make the entire thing very
boring. I am hoping for folks to find new content every time they visit. I
have been watching it for a while myself to assess that, and this is why I
sent the request to the list.  Also, I asked for people's input because I
want to take into account what folks are asking for.

About the "scam" or "twisting". I am not asking nor making any money from the
site. I actually spent some $ to buy the domain name and hours to set all
that stuff up. The content is the original content coming directly from the
sites. It does not get changed in any way and sends the visitors directly
back to the original to read and check that for themselves.

When it comes to "syphoning" visitors from permies.com, I don't think this
will happen. A forum site is very different from a news site. Forums are more
for in depth discussions. News sites are more for keeping updated on what's
going on and a quick read. Also, I don't think that because the domain name
is somehow similar that it would do anything. There are hundreds of
permaculture sites and this is a good thing! We all talk about permaculture.
The content of the site is how search engines find a site, rather than the
domain name.  If I used the same domain name, but was actually selling used
cars on the site, Google would categorize it under used cars, and not
permaculture. Does that make sense?

I want to thank all of those who got back to me and suggested sites! I will
have a look at all that and add some... I most likely will also add the new
permies.com RSS feed. First because I think these forums are amazingly busy
permaculture places, and also because permaculture is about collaboration and
not competition, right?

Lastly, I would really appreciate being a part of this list again since I
have very much appreciated reading it for the past few years without being
too loud or disruptive. I have posted classes in the past, or helped folks
looking for specific things, but that's it.

I also manage a French speaking site that gets good traffic
(permaculturefrancophone.org) and I always try to be as helpful as possible
to the French speaking folks out there who send me their classes and other
related events.

That is it for now. I hope my intentions will be heard. I profoundly respect
the permaculture movement and try to remember everyday that ultimately, we
are all doing it for the Earth and the living creatures it nourishes.

Sebastien.

p.s. for those who need more info on who I am:
http://eco-logicalsolutions.com http://permaculturefrancophone.org
http://sebastienbacharach.com