permaculture - [permaculture] food justice workshops at the ussf in detroit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Nicholas Roberts, Permaculture.coop" <permaculturecoop@gmail.com>
  • To: pil-pc-oceania <pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] food justice workshops at the ussf in detroit
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:57:14 +1000

http://usfoodcrisisgroup.org/files/Updated%20of%20USSFFoodRelatedWorkshops%20v.pdf

Workshop Title Time Location Sponsoring
Organization
Individual/Contact Description
Detroit Highlighted: Detroit Black
Community Food Security
Network
Tue, 06/22/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm; Sat,
06/26/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: O2-36 Detroit Black Community
Food Security Network
Kwamena Mensah,
amenra628@aol.com
We will present and facilitate discussion about our
work. Join us.
Detroit Highlighted: East
Michigan Environmental Action
Council
Tue, 06/22/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm; Sat,
06/26/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: W2-67 East Michigan
Environmental Action
Council
Ahmina Maxey,
ahmina@emeac.org
We will present and facilitate discussion about our
work. Join us.
Diesel Pollution and its
Connection to the Food Justice
Movement
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: W2-65 East Michigan
Environmental Action
Council
Ahmina Maxey,
ahmina@emeac.org
Learn how solutions such as eating locally and putting
filters on diesel vehicles, reducing emissions by over
85%, can reduce pollution in your community.
Faith Communities in the Local
Food Movement: Sustainable
and Just!
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: DO-7B Presbyterian Hunger
Program
Andrew Kang Barlett,
andrew.kangbartlett@pcu
sa.org
Faith communities are digging up their lawns to start
community gardens, running gardening camps and
training programs, hosting farmers markets and CSAs
and working to get healthy food growing in and for
impoverished communities from Utica to Uganda. You
and participants from the Heaven on Earth Agrarian
Road Trip will share stories and the spiritual grounding
to make another food economy possible. This
workshop will spark new ideas and actions you can
take home with you to realize in your own community.
Ample time for discussion.
Monsanto, Nestle and Cargill...
Oh My! Organizing Against the
Corporate Control of Our Public
Resources
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Wayne County
Community
College: 348
Food & Water Watch Meredith Begin,
mbegin@fwwatch.org
Everyone needs to eat. Everyone needs water. How
can we organize against the private corporations that
are trying to control the things we need?
Sacred Service Living Mandala Wed, 06/23/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1437
Farm Fresh Choice gerardo marin,
gerardo@ecologycenter.
org
Join us in manifesting sacred connection, love and
prayer through a living mandala offering to nourish the
land and spirits on local community project land.
The Coalition of Immokalee
Workers: Fighting for Fair Food
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: W2-68 Coalition of Immokalee
Workers
Coalition of Immokalee
Workers, workers@ciwonline.
org
We'll explore the history and organizing methods of the
Coalition of Immokalee Workers, paying particular
attention to the Campaign for Fair Food, including
recent efforts to hold some of the leading supermarket
chains in the U.S. accountable for the sweatshop
wages and working conditions in their tomato supply
chains.
Blacks and the Land, Social
Transformation and Change
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Wayne County
Community
College: 336
AfroEco brewe001@umn.edu Black environmental thought, food security and
relationship to the land will center this workshop.
Workshop participants will leave with a set of practices
and ideas which connect land, food and social change.
By Any Greens Necessary:
Food as a Tool of Colonization
and Joining the Resistance
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1469
The Mill Creek Farm Jade Walker,
kaleliberation@yahoo.co
A popular education workshop investigating our
ancestors, the history of the food justice movement,
colonization and the personal/collective work that will
liberate us.
Excluded Workers Congress Wed, 06/23/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:30pm
Cobo Hall: D2-15 Ai-jen Poo
aijenp@gmail.com
Where our TSO screeners who have been denied
collective bargaining rights will be standing in solidarity
with other Excluded Workers, including farm workers,
restaurant workers, etc.
Who Says You Can't Change
the World: Just Economies and
Societies on an Unjust Planet
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1449
Other Worlds Rachel Wallis,
rachel.otherworlds@gmai
l.com
Our alternative models come directly from the
communities building these solutions, working on
issues ranging from Zero Waste, Food Sovereignty,
Community Control of Knowledge and Media, Water
Rights, Access to Health Care and more. Learn about
how grassroots movements and communities around
the world are building working alternatives to the
neoliberal economic model.
Food Sovereignty PMA Wed, 06/23/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:30pm
Food Justice: food
justice tent
Agricultural Missions Stephen Bartlett,
sbartlett@agmissions.
org
PMA for Food Justice and Agricultural Sustainability
Movement: Organizations rural and urban involved in
food justice and sustainability should come prepared to
share their proposals.
How Do Capital Control and
Subsidized Loans to Corporate
Agribusiness and Aquabusiness
Threaten Our Food System?
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:30pm
Cobo Hall: O2-40 National Family Farm
Coalition, Northwest
Atlantic Marine Alliance
Lisa Griffith, lisa@nffc.net The panel will discuss strategies for
redirecting credit
to ensure that farmers and fishers do not go out of
business as the recession in our rural communities
deepen.
Re-localization and the Role of
the Rustbelt: Young Farmers,
Urban Farmers & Sustainable
Redevelopment
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
WSU Old Main:
1305
Michigan Young Farmer
Coalition
Stefanie Stauffer,
ststauffer@hotmail.com
Learn how the Rustbelt provides a key model for
effectively embracing more sustainable communities,
economies, and agriculture.
Tackling Climate Change on the
Global and Local Level
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
Woodward
Academy: 1435
DC Metro Science for
the People
Srinivasan Raghavan,
raghav1@hotmail.com
Understanding and Tackling Climate Change at the
Global and Local Level by using renewable energy and
sustainable food practices
Brazilian Landless Workers
Movement: Uniting the Struggle
for Agrarian Reform and Against
Transnational Agribusiness
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Manoogian:
150
Friends of the MST Jeffrey Frank,
info@mstbrazil.org
The Brazilian Landless Workers Movement: agrarian
reform and the struggle against transnational
agribusiness.
CEDESA, Women, and the
Mexican Food Sovereignty
Movement
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: DO-6B Coalicion Rural Mexico Ann Ferguson,
ferguson3638@gmail.co
Presentation of a Mexican rural development center for
small farmers as a model for women's leadership in
organizing for food sovereignty.
Converging Storms: The Crises
of Energy & Food, Climate &
Environment, Capitalism & War
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Manoogian:
289
Studies for Global
Justice
Lisa Lubow,
llubow@hotmail.com
Offers unique framework for analysis/action,
addressing systemically-related crises of energy,
capitalism, & environment on a finite earth.
Eco-Justice 101: Ecological
Crises, Impacts on Communities
of Color, and Strategies for the
future
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Cohn: 224 Movement Generation
Justice and Ecology
Project
jason.negron.gonzales@
gmail.com
Communities of color stand to be first and worst
impacted by the multiple ecological crises that are
developing today. These crises: of water scarcity and
pollution, climate change, waste and toxic pollution,
Converging Storms II: The
Crises of Energy & Food,
Climate & Environment,
Capitalism & War
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
WSU Cohn: 224 Studies for Global
Justice
Lisa Lubow,
llubow@hotmail.com
Offers unique framework for analysis/action,
addressing systemically-related crises of energy,
capitalism, & environment on a finite earth.
Food Sovereignty: A Building
Block for People's Sovereignty
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1443
Grassroots International Maria M. Aguiar,
maguiar@grassrootsonlin
e.org
Speakers from Palestine, Haiti, Detroit and Mississippi
show how only Food Sovereignty ensures food
security for urban and rural communities in different
Growing the movement for food
sovereignty and biodiversity in
North America: La Via
Campesina resistance to GMOs
in Mexico, Canada and the US
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
WSU Old Main:
O174
La Via Campesina Isabella Kenfield,
isabella.kenfield@gmail.c
om
Speakers from La Via Campesina - North America
speak on three struggles against genetically-modified
crops (GM) in Mexico, Canada and the US. This
workshop will focus on the threat posed by GM seed
and agrochemical transnational corporations, in
particular Monsanto. Our workshop will emphasize the
importance of native, heirloom seeds and seed
biodiversity to adapt to climate change and for food
sovereignty, and how peasants and family farmers are
the producers and guardians of these seeds.
Setting Aside the Food Drive--
How Faith Communities Can Be
Allies for Justice
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
TWW: 5 Ventura County Clergy
and Laity United For
Economic Justice
Margaret Sawyer,
margaret.sawyer@gmail.
com
Congregations have people and power--learn how
they can become allies in justice movements.
Aprendan como mobilizar congregaciones para ser
aliados en la lucha.
Stop Speculators from Driving
Up World Food Prices: how
workers and university students
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
UAW Building:
Mustang
Maryknoll For Global
Concerns
David Kane,
dkane@maryknoll.org
Learn about a growing campaign of workers and
university students who aim to stop speculators from
playing with global food prices.
The Hidden Story of Food and
Climate Change and What
Social Movements are Doing
About It
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Woodward
Academy:
auditorium
Agricultural Missions Stephen Bartlett,
sbartlett@agmissions.
org
Come discuss the role of food in climate change, the
power of small-scale farming and agroforestry to
restore ecological balance, and the World People's
Conference on Climate Change.
The Politics of Exploiting Need:
AGRA, the Gates Foundation,
and the Food Crisis
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
UAW Building:
Taurus
Community Alliance for
Global Justice
Heather Day,
waal@toolsforchange.org
This popular theater workshop will critique the Gates
Foundation and Alliance for a Green Revolution in
Africa and help the group create democratic,
sustainable alternatives.
Stop Speculators from Driving
Up World Food Prices: how
workers and university students
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
UAW Building:
Mustang
Maryknoll For Global
Concerns
David Kane,
dkane@maryknoll.org
Learn about a growing campaign of workers and
university students who aim to stop speculators from
playing with global food prices.
Climate Change at the End of
your Fork: Organizing locally to
change agribusiness as usual
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:30pm
Wayne County
Community
College: 349
Rainforest Action
Network (RAN)
David Taylor,
dtaylor@ran.org
Did you know that the global food system is
responsible for as much as one-third of all greenhouse
gas emissions? That's more than all the world's cars,
trucks, trains, planes, ships and factories combined!
Join RAN's Rainforest Agribusiness campaign and
members of the Working Group on Agribusiness and
Climate Change as we present case studies,
organizing experiences and lead a discussion on how
we can build a movement to change agribusiness as
Biofuels, Biomass, Bio-
Economy: One Big Bio-mess!
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
Woodward
Academy: 1473
Biofuelwatch Rachel Smolker,
rsmolker@riseup.net
Biofuels and biomass: Building opposition to a colossal
threat to human health, rights to food, land, water and
the future.
The Future of Genetic
Engineering & Other Emerging
Technologies: A call to arms for
the progressive movement
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
TWW: Fourier International Center for
Technology Assessment
Colin O'Neil,
colin@icta.org
New and emerging technologies are threatening
human health and the environment. Discussion will
focus on social justice implications and the role of the
progressive movement.
Food Sovereignty and local
Food Systems: alternatives for
the people
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Old Main:
1114
CCEDNET Yvon Poirier,
ypoirier@videotron.ca
A growing worldwide movement is building these
alternate strategies to fight the WTO agenda.
Opportunities and challenges in North America and in
other continents.
Keeping Your Services Off the
Chopping Block: the Nuts and
Bolts of Building Labor-
Community Alliances to Protect
Public Services
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cabo Hall: D3-17
DC Jobs with Justce
Ruth Castel-Branco rcastel@dclabor.org
As unemployment rates continue to rise in areas
throughout the US, and people continue to lose their
homes in what constitutes the largest loss of land for
people of color since the end of reconstruction, the
safety net across the nations is crumbling. Using
Social Movement Strategies and
Tactics for Rebuilding Local
Food Economies
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: DO-01B Agricultural Missions Stephen Bartlett,
sbartlett@agmissions.
org
Social Movement Strategies and Tactics for Rebuilding
Local Food Economies: Grassroots Voices of
Agricultural Missions partners from rural and urban
peoples' organizations, global south (DR, Haiti) and
U.S. on community organizing and empowerment,
messaging, food system strategies, tactics and
models, with vision of Cooling the Planet and
Combatting Poverty and Hunger.
Domestic Fair Trade
Association: A Movement Based
Approach to Fair Trade
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Cobo Hall: O2-33 Domestic Fair Trade
Association
Kerstin Lindgren,
dftassociation@gmail.co
DFTA is uniting stakeholders across the food system,
building a movement to transform it into one that is
healthy, sustainable, and just.
GM crops - the poisoned
chalice: perspectives and
victories from South Africa
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Cobo Hall: D3-23 International
Development Exchange
(IDEX)
Rajasvini Bhansali,
vini@idex.org
IDEX partner, Biowatch South Africa will present its
recent legal victory against the State and Monsanto.
Struggles for food sovereignty, biodiversity and
sustainable agriculture in the Global South will be
explored.
Green Power to the People:
How a Garden-based
Democracy Can Transform
Civic Participation
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
WSU Old Main:
1119
Kingston Land Trust Valexia,
valerialexia@gmail.com
How people in Kingston, NY took back their city with
garden based direct democracy and social media for
community gardens, green jobs and reduced carbon
footprints.
Harvesting Solidarity:
Farmworkers, Student/Youth
allies, and the Fight for Fair
Food
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
WSU Student
Center: 289
Student/Farmworker
Alliance
Marc Rodrigues,
marc@sfalliance.org
The Student/Farmworker Alliance is a national network
of students and youth organizing alongside
farmworkers to end sweatshops and modern-day
slavery in the fields. In alliance with the farmworker-led
Coalition of Immokalee Workers, we've been at the
forefront of winning some of the biggest victories
against corporate greed our generation has seen, and
we're just getting started.
Justice for farm workers! How to
support farm workers from
around the country as they
organize for justice
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1470
National Farm Worker
Ministry
Lariza Garzon,
lgarzon@nfwm.org
Justice for farm workers! How to support farm workers
from around the country as they organize for justice If
you ate today, you are connected to a farm worker.
Most of the food in the United States is handpicked by
farm workers. These workers earn very low wages,
suffer exposure to pesticides, lack many labor rights
and in many cases are victims of physical and verbal
abuse. You can help change the food industry so that
workers are safe and can live with dignity. Join farm
workers in their struggle for justice. Attend this
workshop and learn how to do it!
Worker's Struggles for Labor
Justice and Sustainability in the
Food System
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Westin Book
Cadillac Hotel:
WB1
Food Chain Workers
Alliance
Joann Lo,
fcwacoord@gmail.com
Workers along the food chain share stories about their
working conditions and the solutions they are forging
together to build power.
Keeping It Real: Embodying
Alliance in the Quest for Real
Food
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Cobo Hall: D2-12 Food for the People Navina Khanna,
navinamoon@gmail.com
Mapping the real food movement: art and dialogue to
identify, amplify and leverage resources to build
strengthened national alliance and action for real food.
Campaigns, coalition building,
and organizing to change our
campus food systems
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:30pm
Cobo Hall: DO-4C Real Food Challenge,
Student/Farmworker
Alliance
Alli Reed,
alli.a.reed@gmail.com
This workshop will explore issues within our global food
systems and our role as students in the movement to
change our food system. This workshop will be highly
hands-on and participants will leave with not just
knowledge but with the tangible skills we need to act
on a global scale.
Food Sovereignty in the US and
Beyond: Renegotiating US Food
and Farm Policy from the
Grassroots
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:30pm
Cobo Hall: DO-5A Rural Coalition/Coalicion
Rural
Lorette Picciano,
lpicciano@ruralco.org
Advancing the movement to rebuild the food system in
the United States from the grassroots instead of the
corporate level and to advocate for substantive
changes not achieved in the previous U.S. Farm Bill
debate.
Aparigraha: An Economic
Paradigm For a Culture of
Peace
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
Woodward
Academy: 1435
Global Coalition for
Peace
Victor Landa,
gcfp@earthlink.net
Shares how capitalism is destructive; reclaiming our
food supply is essential & ways to start creating an
economic culture based on love
>From Food Crisis to Food
Sovereignty: Proposals for
Building a US Food Sovereignty
Network
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
WSU Old Main:
1114
WhyHunger Christina Schiavoni,
christina@whyhunger.org
Skyrocketing rates of hunger, coupled with the
economic crisis and worsening impacts of climate
change, point to the need for a radically different food
system. In response, international movements of
peasants, farmworkers, fisherfolk, indigenous peoples,
and others have united to form a powerful global
Pathways to Sustainable Self-
Governance: Democratic Open-
Source Food and Manufacturing
Networks
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
Wayne County
Community
College: 23A
Permaculture
Cooperative
Kirstie Stramler,
kirstie@permaculture.tv
Worker Cooperative Networks for Sovereignty of Food,
Commerce, & Community:
Panel/Breakouts/Discussion to Envision & Chart
Implementation Framework of Industrial Permaculture
Ecology.
Tools for Change: Local Food
Policy Councils
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
TWW: 3 Community Food
Security Coalition
Emily Becker,
emily@foodsecurity.org
This workshop will introduce Food Policy Councils and
tools for food justice activists to change the rules of our
food systems at a local level.
Other Related Workshops
Environmental Justice: Building
Community Power for Health
Equity in New York City
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
UAW Building:
Lincoln
West Harlem
Environmental Action,
Inc. aka WE ACT for
Environmental Justice
James Burke,
burke@weact.org
Capacity building for environmental health and justice
is important to build healthy sustainable communities
for the future. Community-based solutions must be
supported in order to create a shift in the value system
of our broader society. The emphasis on
environmental protection, equal access and the 17
principles of environmental justice will support the
development of a movement that will benefit all people.
Greening the Emerald City:
Bringing Together
Environmental and Communitybased
Organizing
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
3:00pm - 5:00pm
Wayne County
Community
College: 336
Alliance of Community
Trainers
Starhawk,
stella@mcn.org
Hunters Point Family and Earth Activist Training share
our experiences of collaboration and explore how
environmental groups and community-based
organizations can work together effectively. The
Hunters Point Family agency runs programs for at-risk
youth that teach conflict resolution, self esteem, food
growing and urban agriculture.
Together for Earth: Positive
Personal and Community
and Peak Oil
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
3:00pm - 5:00pm
WSU Cohn: 220 Local Future Megan Q. Bachman,
megbach06@gmail.com
On a finite and increasingly full planet, the choices we
make greatly impact the natural world and all people.
Megan Bachman will discuss the state of our climate
and energy emergency and how our response to these
challenges will shape the world to come. She'll share
hopeful stories from individuals around the world
making major lifestyle changes and powerful examples
from Cuba's oil crisis in the early 1990s, as shown in
her film, "The Power of Community: How Cuba
Survived Peak Oil." Finally, she'll explore how in the
face of global disaster, communities and their local
economies can become more strong, sustainable and
resilient.
Midwest Radical Cultural
Corridor
Wed, 06/23/2010 -
3:30pm - 5:30pm
Cobo Hall: D3-24 Compass Brian Holmes,
brian.holmes@aliceadsl.f
A convergence for caravanistas, bicyclists and walkers
to share their understandings of the radical cultures
encountered on the roads to Detroit. Key themes:
environmental and social justice, alternative food
production, cultures of resistance and grassroots
institutions.
Climate Connections: Building
the Movement for Social
Change
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1436
Global Justice Ecology
Project
Anne Petermann,
globalecology@gmavt.ne
Climate change must be addressed through diverse,
holistic and visionary alliances that address its root
causes and transform society based on justice and
ecology.
Eco-Justice 101: Ecological
Crises, Impacts on Communities
of Color, and Strategies for the
Future.
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Cohn: 224 Movement Generation
Justice and Ecology
Project
Jason Negron-Gonzales,
jason.negron.gonzales@
gmail.com
Communities of color are first and worst impacted by
multiple ecological crises. We explore these crises;
their impact on us; what we can do to respond; and
their relationship to other issues in our communities.
Linking Our Struggles: Exploring
How Local Action Can Be a
Pathway for International
Solidarity
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Old Main:
1111
S.P.R.I.N.G. Jennifer Jones,
jenleejones@gmail.com
What do school garden projects in Berkeley have to do
with autonomous peasant movements in Southern
Mexico? Participate in a discussion facilitated by a
youth collective. Explore how local projects are/can be
connected to international movements through mutual
aid, consensus, and solidarity.
Our Water Commons: Towards
New Freshwater Action and
Community-led Water
Management!
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Student
Center: 283
On the Commons danielmoss9@gmail.com From Detroit to Dar es Salaam, water is
our collective
lifeline yet routinely abused. Participants will share
experiences in improving water governance and
stewardship to reclaim the water commons. Possible
Speakers: Maude Barlow (Council of Canadians);
Marcela Olivera (La Red Vida); Mary Ann Manahan
(Focus on the Global South - Philippines); Jim Olsen
(FLOW for Water); Representative from New Mexico
Las Acequias Association
Collaborative Investigation (Co-
Razonando) in Times of Crisis:
Bridging North and South,
Activism and Academia.
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
WSU Manoogian:
150
Social Movement
Working Group,
Turbulence
www.turbulence.org.uk
mosterweil@gmail.com In this workshop, we will build on our different
experiences within social movements as well as
international projects of militant or collaborative
investigation, to argue for the importance of spaces
and projects to cultivate new conceptual and practical
frameworks for pursuing activist work.
Landslide Community Farm—A
Case Study Opening Space for
Grassroots Community-Based
Projects
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
WSU Manoogian:
150
Landslide Community
Farm
Claire Schoyer,
landslide@riseup.net
Members of Landslide and a staff attorney from
Regional Housing Legal Services present the
experience at Landslide as a case study on how a
small radical collective was able to navigate the
complex boondoggle of city bureaucracy and urban
development organizations, to transform a blighted
area into a community based urban farm and model
for urban sustainable living.
Youth-Lead Activism in NYC's
Public High Schools
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
Westin Book
Cadillac Hotel:
WB2
Support Darfur Project Nisrin Elamin,
nisrin7@gmail.com
This interactive workshop is designed and lead by
Global Kids youth leaders involved in mobilizing for
change around different social justice issues affecting
their communities locally and globally. They will share
their experiences through film and engage participants
in interactive activities aimed at promoting youth led
activism in other parts of the country.
Emerging Strategies to
Re/Claim the Commons
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Cobo Hall: D3-17 On the Commons Alexa Bradley,
4alexabradley@gmail.co
US and Global South participants will explore
commons strategies to restore a direct relationship
between communities, vital resources and resource
decisions
A World in Crisis and the
People's Agenda for a
Democratic and Just Response
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Cobo Hall: D2-14 IBON North America ,
Anak Bayan East Bay
Katrina Abarcar,
kabarcar@ibon.org
People’s analysis and response to the global crisis and
its grave, multi-faceted impact on the economy,
environment, food, energy, and peace.
Prioritizing Africa & the African
Diaspora Agenda from Detroit to
Dakar (D2D)
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Cobo Hall: W2-69 Priority Africa Network
(PAN)
Nunu Kidane,
nunukidane@att.net
This PMA brings together organizations and individuals
to review historic challenges towards the people and
the continent of Africa. This PMA will analyze multiple
issues ranging from militarization, gender, land rights
and food sovereignty, climate change, democracy and
governance, health and HIV/AIDS and corporate
accountability as relate to Africa and the African
diaspora.
The Silent Crisis: Our Noise is
Not Loud Enough!
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Cobo Hall: DO-6B itsJUSTwater Garry Owens,
garrygo@me.com
Come and aim your moral compass and your
organizing and activism to this new effort to "do
something" to cease and prevent the human tragedy
of 200 poor children under five dying every hour
around the globe from drinking dirty water filled with
human and animal waste.
Women, Feminism, Economic
Crisis, and the Solidarity
Economy
Thu, 06/24/2010 -
3:00pm - 5:00pm
Woodward
Academy: 1449
International Association
for Feminist Economics
Mai Perches,
maimails@gmail.com
Feminist economists & activists discuss solidarity
economy practices and institutions as providing
transformative, feminist solutions to capitalism’s crises
Student Research on Boston's
Solidarity Economy
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
TWW: 1 Students for a
Cooperative Economy (SFACE)
Korrie Xavier,
korrie@gmail.com
We, Wellesley College students, will present our
research on the Boston solidarity economy and our
cooperative learning methods. We will present our
cooperative research project on worker, consumer,
and housing cooperatives; alternative currencies; fair
trade distributors; urban gardens and the food
sovereignty movement; solidarity consumption such as
freecycling, freeganism, swap meets; socially
responsible investment groups and community capital.
The Collapse of Empire, The
Future of Community: Jobs,
Food, Money & Energy
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
10:00am -
12:00pm
WSU Student
Center: 289
Local Future Aaron Wissner,
aaron@localfuture.org
Peak oil. Money reform. Environmental crisis.
Inspiration & strategies for social change to cultures of
equity, sustainability and justice.
This Land is Our Land: A Model
for Community-Centered
Planning & Organizing for
Community Benefits
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
1:00pm - 3:00pm
TWW: 3 Georgia STAND-UP Melissa Conrad,
melissa@georgiastandup
.org
This workshop will provide tools & strategies for
winning Community Benefits Policies & Agreements
through community organizing and participatory
research.
New Media and Social
Movements
Fri, 06/25/2010 -
3:00pm - 5:00pm
WSU Old Main:
1133
Santa Barbara Student
Housing Co-op
Jacob McCollum,
mccollum.jacob@gmail.c
om
By show casing everything from simple wikis and
online communities to other cutting edge technologies
to promulgate the spread of techniques and ideas that
have been kicking around since the Neolithic. We’ve
gathered examples of what people are doing in social,
political and sustainability movement (stuff) and what
other people are doing to utilize new media in other
movements (communication) and have synthesized
the two (communicating stuff). In addition we provide
resources and tools for making the most of the latest
technologies and organizational tools and a “general
how to” guide to using the Internet to achieve your
goals. Participants will leave with an understanding of
the new media as social change tapestry and a set of
resources that will enable them to make a few new
stitches of their own. We have gone to great lengths to
insure our presenters represent as wide a gamut of
identities as possible.
Nicholas Roberts & Kirstie Stramler

Denmark 36 96 49 02
Australia 02 8003 6993
USA 310 598 2989

Permaculture Cooperative R&D project
skype permaculturecoop
email permaculturecoop@gmail.com
--
news http://news.permaculture.coop
groups http://permaculturegroups.org

  • [permaculture] food justice workshops at the ussf in detroit, Nicholas Roberts, Permaculture.coop, 06/19/2010