permaculture - [permaculture] fruit tree guilds (Permaculture Forums: permaculture)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] fruit tree guilds (Permaculture Forums: permaculture)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:26:19 -0400

fruit tree guilds (Permaculture Forums: permaculture)
http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/1475_0/permaculture/fruit-tree-guilds

This is an interesting thread on fruit tree guilds; see especially the input from: Joop Corbin - swomp, which is exceptional; I'll quote it here:

"Two things you really want in a rose guild (apples belong, like most fruit trees, to the rosacea family):
- Umbelliferae, predators like hover flies live in and around them, variaties that are even more useful for us are things like valerianis officianalis, parsnip, carrots and lots of others...
- compositea, The adults from certain insects eat this, their larvea are great predators on insects that feed on fruit.

i would also go for nastertium as a ground cover below the tree. from stem to drip line comfrey and nastertium. around that, we've got patches with self seeding herbs, carrots and onionny things between berry bushes, and not further than 4-5 metres from the tree, valerianis officianale.

and of course nitrogen fixers and dynamic accumulators, the latter being more important than the first where we are."

  • [permaculture] fruit tree guilds (Permaculture Forums: permaculture), Lawrence F. London, Jr., 06/15/2010