permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Info on castor bean press and production?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Info on castor bean press and production?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:48:34 -0700 (PDT)

Since castor bean is to deadly poisonous to humans I would do some careful
research before feeding it to animals.  A quick search on the internet finds
some sources saying it can be used for livestock feed and others saying it
cannot.
Organic Fertilizer Highly
toxic ricin occurs naturally in castor beans. Ricin is water-soluble
and remains in the bean "cake" after oil is pressed and extracted.
Cooking does not destroy ricin, so castor bean cake is not used as
livestock feed.

Castor beans are as much as 48 percent protein, with a complete amino
acid profile and trace elements such manganese, copper and zinc. The
cake is 4.5 percent nitrogen, 1.5 percent phosphorous and 1.5 percent
potassium, making it ideal organic manure. Ricin in the manure kills
nematodes.
Read more:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/138629-uses-castor-beans/#ixzz0q2xuHyyy

Another source says there is a way of removing the poisonous principles so
that the oilcake can be used for livestock food, but it didn't explain the
process.

Proceed with caution.

Michael Pilarski