permaculture - [permaculture] Comfrey-goat trial

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Comfrey-goat trial
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:01:06 -0700 (PDT)

There was a question regarding the use of comfrey as a fraction of a goat's
diet, from James David Sneed I believe, that I'm interested in answering.
Partly because I have a lot of comfrey growing in my garden, and also because
I have a meat goat on a small urban farm that I'd like to feed exclusively
onsite.  This morning I started my trial, with one large comfrey leaf, and
she ate it preferentially to carrot, green beans, snow peas, and leaf
lettuce.  As with any new forage, and permaculture in general, I want to go
slowly with this one.  I think I'm being overly cautious, but that always
seems to pay off.

So what I'm hoping for is a few other people, especially from other climates
and soil types (I live in muggy zone 8 with loamy sand), and with other
breeds of goats (I have a Kiko), to join the trial.  Of course, if you live
in a muggy zone 8 climate with loamy sand and a Kiko I'd be glad for the
redundancy!  We could arrange the trial metrics as a group and report back
here with our findings.

Anyone interested?
Tripp

-Chinese proverb