permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: Bahia Info

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jamesdavid Sneed <harvestcircle@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: Bahia Info
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 20:01:10 -0700

Thanks for the info. It sounds promising. The only caveat that immediately
comes to mind would be that just because a microbe is natural doesn't mean it
affects all living organisms benignly. While I have no evidence that any of
these would cause collateral harm, it is a pattern of human activity in the
last century of so-called civilization to assume that particular technologies
(organic or otherwise) were "one-size fits all" or were benign except towards
their target. Unfortunately, we were often wrong.

> Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 17:51:02 -0700
> From: cory8570@yahoo.com
> To: jharvestcircle@hotmail.com; permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [permaculture] Fw: Bahia Info
>
> Here's a sample of what one of the microbe companies do, MIcrobetech. They
> take microbes from the immediate environment when they can, so they are
> native.
>
> Effective Microorganisms is another, there are a number of them out there.
> EM was used by permaculturists in New Orleans to clean black mold. It is
> the only thing that cleaned it completely, to my knowledge. And prevented
> chlorine from being used and going into the ecosystem. It's been in use
> since the 80's, used in the Sea of Japan and other major ecosystems.
>
> There is so much transfer of microbes from human activity already that I do
> not see how cleaning ecosystems with them would do more harm than good. We
> are constantly transferring microbes to every corner of the planet via
> food, dirt, garbage, etc.
>
> But I'm interested in any specifics you might have regarding the risks, as
> well.
>
> Cory

inbox.