permaculture - [permaculture] Fw: Bahia Info

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: jharvestcircle@hotmail.com, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fw: Bahia Info
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 17:51:02 -0700 (PDT)

Here's a sample of what one of the microbe companies do, MIcrobetech. They
take microbes from the immediate environment when they can, so they are
native.

Effective Microorganisms is another, there are a number of them out there. EM
was used by permaculturists in New Orleans to clean black mold. It is the
only thing that cleaned it completely, to my knowledge. And prevented
chlorine from being used and going into the ecosystem.  It's been in use
since the 80's, used in the Sea of Japan and other major ecosystems.

There is so much transfer of microbes from human activity already that I do
not see how cleaning ecosystems with them would do more harm than good.  We
are constantly transferring microbes to every corner of the planet via food,
dirt, garbage, etc.

But I'm interested in any specifics you might have regarding the risks, as
well.

Cory