permaculture - [permaculture] (fwd) Request for info/data on CSA benefits

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] (fwd) Request for info/data on CSA benefits
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:39:59 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Request for info/data on CSA benefits
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:18:10 -0700
From: james mercer <jamescmercer@YAHOO.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi folks,

Doing some research on the benefits a community can expect from a CSA.
Making proposal to municipality for lease of open space land for this purpose.
What I'd like to include is information on the benefits to the community that such an enterprise can be expected to generate. Beyond the obvious fresh organic food .
Basically I need points to demonstrate the desirablilty of allowing such an endeavor to the politicians, as well as voters who do not plan to subscribe to the food-share aspect of the CSA. (ie info to convince the 'why should we/what's in it for us' crowd).
We will have the obvious points of fresh food, produced locally and sustainably, reduced chemical/energy footprint, educational and recreational opportunities for school district children, seniors and special need citizens.
Appreciate any other suggestions.

Also, particularly interested in any info on any studies they have seen regarding the not so obvious benefits to the entire community- additional economic and community growth potential, ancillary beneficiaries, etc etc. that the association can hope to provide for the community at large. Data, studies, additional web references, anecdotal field reports or references for contact for further research all appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any input!
jamescmercer@yahoo.com

  • [permaculture] (fwd) Request for info/data on CSA benefits, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/28/2010