permaculture - [permaculture] research results on carbon farming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] research results on carbon farming
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:06:28 -0700 (PDT)

Now that the basic infrastructure of our permaculture is in place, I've got
more time on my hands, so I decided to look on the Internet for info on the
potential of carbon farming to reverse climate change.

The most salient bits that I found were from the scientist from Ohio that I
found most quoted on the topic, Rattan Lal.  He says that the potential of
carbon farming on US soils would be to capture 100 million tons of carbon,
merely the equivalent of the emissions of half the cars in the US.  He also
says that globally, agricultural soil can sequester 3 billion metric tons of
CO2 per year for the next 50 years, equivalent to a draw-down of 50 parts per
million of atmospheric CO2 by 2100.  350 parts per million is generally
regarded as the safe level and we are now at 391.  This means that even if we
started capturing all the carbon we could in all agricultural soils in the
world right now, we would still have to eliminate all carbon emissions
globally, right now, just to get back to the safe level by 2100.

To sum up, carbon farming could be a significant piece of the puzzle in our
effort to reverse climate change, but there will need to be a radical
reduction in carbon emissions, as well, if we are to avoid a climate
catastrophe.

Here are some extracts from Internet sites that I found today:

http://civileats.com/2009/02/03/the-dirt-on-carbon-farming/:

Australian author Allan Yeomans, whose father invented the keyline system and
Yeomans Plow: “If the organic matter in the top foot of all the world’s field
and pasture soils were increased by 1.6%, the greenhouse effect would be back
to near normal.”

Why store carbon in the soil?  Changes in land use and land management (such
as industrial agriculture practices, which have stripped a great deal of the
arable land in this country of its nutrients) have accounted for around one
third of the greenhouse gases that are currently in the atmosphere. Returning
to practices that create fertile, nutrient-rich soil not only benefits the
food system, it also pulls a percentage of that carbon into a solid form.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/articles/hof/HofAug07.html:
Tillage or tearing up the soil stimulates the activities of microorganisms
and exposes the humus to oxygen and the sun. These forces act to destroy the
organic carbon and release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. This change
can be seen by comparing native or virgin sod to land that has been farmed
for 100 years. The virgin sod is black while the farmed land has a shade of
gray to it. According to scientists, the organic carbon content of Iowa soils
has gone from 5 percent to about 3 percent over the last century.
On a world-wide basis, from the time agriculture began, almost 80 million
tons of carbon have been released from the soil (Rattan Lal, soil scientist,
Ohio State University). Up until the late 1950s, tillage (plowing) released
more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than all the burning of oil and coal
in history.
However, that’s all in the past and we can’t do anything about it. But what
this does tell us is the potential for once again using the soil as a great
storehouse of carbon. Theoretically, American soils could soak up more than
100 million tons of carbon annually. That’s enough to offset the emissions
from half of the cars in the country (Rattan Lal).
In addition to no-till farming, other acceptable methods of storing carbon
include:

Converting cropland to permanent grassland or trees.
Restoring wetlands
Rangeland improvement
Cover crops
Planting conservation buffers
On-farm methane digesters

http://carbonfarming.blogspot.com/:
Agricultural Soil can sequester 3 billion mt of CO2e per year for the next 50
years, equivalent to a draw-down of 50 parts per million of atmospheric CO2
by 2100, according to Dr Rattan Lal, the world's most eminent soil carbon
authority.
http://co2now.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=9&Itemid=38:
How to actually solve global warming
By Michael McGee
Started  |  October 26, 2008
 Last update  |  November 6, 2008
Just more than 12 months ago, I started to pay attention to the changing
levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.  The latest data is reported monthly by the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration based on measurements made at
the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii.  This led to the launch of a website
that focuses on atmospheric CO2. The curiosity spread from CO2 to questions
about the mechanics of the global warming problem and the chief plans,
policies and solutions that humanity is pursuing.
In very broadest strokes, here is what I have learned through work that led
to the creation of CO2Now.org:  The problems and challenges facing humanity
in 2008 are vastly greater than I had previously imagined.   At the same
time, immense potential exists for humanity to actually tackle these
problems.
Of greatest concern, I have yet to find a plan that looks like a plan that is
capable of turning the tide on global warming and climate change.  In
response, I have found myself thinking a lot about the science behind these
problems and what steps are essential to solving them.  This short essay is
an evolving, think-out-loud-essay-as-things-get-figured-out.   In Spring
2008, there were two essential steps.  By summer, there were four.  Now, that
number has grown to eight, each one in a particular sequence.  The key is
solving these problems seems unachievable without all eight.   The
conversation may be patchy and incomplete, but it will actually help to forge
ahead with an unfinished product.  Feel free to join this figuring-it-out At
another level, we need to move our aim from targets based on policy to
targets based on what science says is safe.  That uncontested target for safe
CO2 is 350 ppm.
1. Face Atmospheric Reality
The heart of the global warming crisis is the continuing increases in the
concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.   Direct measurements of
the Earth’s atmosphere from the Mauna Loa Observatory tells us that
atmospheric CO2 was 383.09 parts per million in September 2008, and that the
rate of increase this decade is accelerating.    In contrast, the key to
solving the global warming crisis is the future decline of atmospheric
concentrations of the most abundant greenhouse gas released by human
activities: CO2.   A basic level of carbon literacy is needed, and this
information is something that needs to be made visible and recognizable far
and wide.
2. We need a science-based target for safe levels of greenhouse gases in our
atmosphere.
I know of a single scientific report that tells us what level of atmospheric
CO2 is safe.  The report is based on paleoclimate data and findings published
in April 2008 by ten scientists led by James Hansen, head of the NASA Goddard
Institute for Space Studies.   What level of atmospheric CO2 is safe?  The
upper ceiling is 350 parts per million.  Directionally, we need to transform
the rise of atmospheric CO2 into a decline back to levels not seen since
1987.
3. We need to see the effort to get to Safe CO2 as universally urgent
The world has been on the dangerous side of 350 for more than two decades.
The higher that CO2 levels rise in the atmosphere, and the longer that
concentrations stay elevated in the danger zone, the greater the harm to the
planet and the human community.  [See the Hansen report for details.]  The
main human-caused greenhouse gas, CO2 is rising and accelerating in terms of
emissions and atmospheric levels.  The world needs a plan right now that can
get us to 350 as fast as absolutely practical, and we need a successful
execution of that plan.
4. We need a milestone target for Peak CO2
Atmospheric concentrations are accelerating upward when they need to be
declining.  Before atmospheric CO2 can begin its decent on the road to safe
concentrations, the rising concentrations must be brought to a peak.  That is
the first major milestone target that must be achieved collectively by the
people of the world.   To reflect the urgency of hitting this target, “Peak
CO2” is a target to be achieved within a particular timeframe.   The
timeframe that is adopted needs to be as soon as absolutely practical.
5. We need to rewire the world economy with alternative energy and get our
emissions as close to zero as possible
To get atmospheric CO2 to stop rising, the scientists tell us that global
emissions need to be cut by at least 50%.  To get atmospheric CO2 to begin a
decline back to the safe side of 350 ppm as soon as absolutely practical,
global emissions need to be reduced so low they are close to zero.  We need
to let go of the high carbon present and move swiftly and directly to the
inevitable future where emissions are so low they are practically zero.  As
long as we continue to burn fossil fuels in our daily lives or our places of
employment, the causes of the global warming crisis will be alive and well.
As long as we are using our local and distant lands in ways that add
emissions to the atmosphere, rather than absorb CO2 from the atmosphere, we
will know that we are probably not yet doing enough.
6. Unleash human ingenuity everywhere
Solve global warming and climate change?  This is not a job for superman.
This is not a job for one institution or one country.  This is not something
to be done by someone else in some other place.  This is a mission for as
many of the 6.5 billion humans on earth who are prepared to accept it.   A
carbon-literate population can achieve results that would seem impossible
today when they are given clear targets, policy and financial support, access
to appropriate technology and objective progress reports.  People had the
ingenuity to build this world and economy on a fossil fuel platform.  They
have even more untapped ingenuity that can be used to reinvent and rewire the
global economy for sustainable prosperity on a clean and safe platform.
7. Prepare for some of earth’s biggest parties
Solving the global warming crisis requires an unprecedented level of
cooperation, coordination and cognition.  As the efforts achieve results
along the road toward 350 ppm, there will be reason for a planet-wide, human
celebration that is bigger than any celebration in history.
8. Repeat for the other greenhouse gases
Rising CO2 levels in the atmosphere is responsible for more global warming
than the rise of all the other greenhouse gases combined.  The global warming
crisis cannot be cracked or solved without a focus on CO2.   The singular
focus on CO2 does not imply that other greenhouse gases from human activities
can be ignored.   What works for CO2 will apply roughly for methane (CH4),
nitrous oxide (N2O), and the other greenhouses gases.
Closing
Please keep in mind that this is just the beginning of this  conversation,
this search for a plan with a high likelihood of providing great benefits for
the planet and humanity, today and into the future.  For now, send your
thoughts and comments to

\n

email@co2now.org

This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript
enabled to view it

http://co2now.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1:
Graph showing that atmospheric CO2 levels in 1955 were near 315 ppm and are
now at 391.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11951725:
Iowa Farmers Look to Trap Carbon in Soil
by Dan Charles

July 15, 2007
We all know the main sources of greenhouse gases: power plants, cars, burning
forests and yes, your lawn mower.
But dirt? It's true. Farmers have released huge amounts of carbon dioxide,
the major greenhouse gas, just by plowing their fields.
If you need proof, says soil scientist Lee Burras of Iowa State University,
just head for one of the remaining patches of undisturbed American prairie.
Take, for example, Doolittle Prairie near Story City, Iowa. Amid a sprinkling
of wildflowers and the calls of red-winged blackbirds, Burras plunges a spade
into the soil, cutting through the web of grass roots. Then, on his knees, he
lifts out a clump of soil.
"The first thing I notice is how black it is," Burras says. "Beautifully
black."
Indeed, the soil is black like coal, or oil, or charcoal, because it's also
full of carbon organic carbon, or humus, Burras calls it. It is what's left
from countless generations of rotting plants.
But exposing that humus to the sun and oxygen also begins to destroy it.
Microbes in the soil are going to work on the humus, eating it and breathing
out carbon dioxide, as if they were burning up the soil.
This is what happens when farmers till the land.
The Downfall of Plowing
"The tearing of the soil, introducing oxygen that's what tillage is all
about," Burras says. "The history of civilization is tillage. I believe it
was Daniel Webster who said, 'Where tillage begins, other arts follow.'"
But tillage also changes the land. Burras walks 100 feet east, out of the
grass and into a field planted with soybeans. Here, once again, he turns over
some soil.
"One of the most striking differences, as we look at this, is that the field
is a little grayer, not quite as black," he says. "That reflects the past
century of plowing and such. We've seen the organic carbon content of the
field go from 5 percent to about 3 percent."
It may not seem like much, but it means that over the past 100 years, every
acre of this field has vented about 50 tons of carbon dioxide into the
atmosphere. That's about as much as eight average cars pump out in a year.
Of course, there are billions of acres of farmland around the globe. Rattan
Lal, a soil scientist at Ohio State University, has traveled the world to
study those fields, trying to calculate how much carbon farmers have
unleashed.
"From time immemorial when world agriculture began, we have lost roughly 140
billion tons of carbon from trees and soil," he said to an audience on
Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. Over half of that, almost 80 billions tons,
is from the soil alone. In fact, up until the late 1950s, plowing had
released more carbon dioxide into the air than all the burning of coal and
oil in history.
Capturing Carbon
That's the bad news. The good news is farmers are finding ways to recapture
some of that carbon. They could even help slow global warming. You could call
it "carbon farming."
There are many ways to add carbon to the soil. The most popular is called
no-till farming. It involves planting without plowing. A no-till planter has
sharp steel wheels that cut right through the debris from last year's crop,
opening up a narrow slit in the soil; seeds drop through a tube into the
opening, then a wheel comes along and closes it up again. Because it doesn't
stir up the soil, it lets the land keep its stored carbon and even adds some,
because those corn stalks on the surface gradually become part of the soil.
By some calculations although there's some scientific argument over this each
acre of no-till land in Iowa captures about a ton of carbon dioxide from the
air each year. At that rate, a six-acre cornfield inhales about as much of
this greenhouse gas as the average American car exhales.
Farmers can also add carbon-rich compost to the soil, and plant "cover crops"
such as rye or vetch during parts of the year when land otherwise would lie
idle. Both are standard practices in organic farming.
The best way to raise a big carbon crop, though, is to do what Russell Hughes
did on part of his farm in Searsboro, Iowa. He stopped growing corn and
soybeans on part of his farm and turned it into pasture for cattle. Grass and
clover covers this ground year-round; the roots grow deep.
"In a small respect, you're going back closer to what the prairie was doing
when it was here," Hughes says. "As long as you have roots down there that
are holding the soil, you're adding a little bit all the time."
Carbon as a Solution
The potential impact of carbon farming is enormous. According to Rattan Lal,
from Ohio State, American soil could in theory, at least soak up more than
100 million tons of carbon each year, enough to offset the emissions from
half of the cars in the country.
"If we want to kick the carbon habit, as our president has asked, then
agriculture is an important part of the solution to rehabilitating our carbon
civilization," he says.
And the real beauty of this, he says, is that many of these carbon-trapping
practices cost very little. Often, they're even profitable. And farming this
way helps the environment in other ways; the land becomes more of a sponge
for water and less soil and fertilizer washes into nearby streams.
"It's a win-win-win," Lal says.
There are, of course, many complications before this will happen. Farmers
grow crops that they can see and sell, not something invisible and hard to
measure, like carbon in the ground. And scientists are still arguing about
how much carbon some of these farming practices actually capture.
In a small way, though, carbon farming has begun. Under a program run by the
Iowa Farm Bureau, almost 2,000 farmers are getting paid a few dollars for
every acre of no-till land or pasture. The money comes from businesses that
are trying to balance their greenhouse gas emissions. Right now, those
businesses aren't paying a lot, but that could change, if Congress passes
strict limits on greenhouse gas emissions. Then, farmers might actually earn
some real money by capturing carbon and storing it in their land.