permaculture - [permaculture] a permanent knowledge bank

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Watkins <chriswaterguy@appropedia.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] a permanent knowledge bank
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:42:37 +1000

One of the important aspects of inviting people to contribute at
Appropedia.org (or any other wiki) is making sure that their work is
protected, and will be available in coming years, regardless of server
crash, unpaid bills, tech admin heart attacks or "zombie apocalypse" - or at
least, whatever unexpected event may happen. One way we do this is through
our publicly available site dumps (see Appropedia:Current
dump<http://www.appropedia.org/Appropedia:Current_dump>)
which anyone can download.

What prompts this: There's still no sight of permaculture.info, and no
response by email from Rich Morris. I fear that the work that people have
put in may be lost, as with another wiki a saw disappear a few weeks ago. I
know there are some smaller permaculture wiki efforts out there - I hope
that they have publicly available backups as well.

It's possible to go to the Special:Export page in a MediaWiki site and list
pages to download (use Special:Allpages to get page names)... I don't
suppose anyone thought to do this with permaculture.info?

What I'd really appreciate is if those people here with sites, blogs,
facebook accounts or whatever, added a link to Appropedia and encouraged
their networks to contribute to a permanent and growing permaculture
knowledge base on Appropedia.

Muchas gracias!
--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia