permaculture - [permaculture] parasitic nematodes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] parasitic nematodes
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:40:33 -0700 (PDT)

I have submitted a request to the USDA for a Material Safety Data Statmement
on the use of parasitic nematodes, specifically Heterohabditis Bacteriophora
and Steinenerma Carpocapse.  The former to primarily control Japanese Beetle,
which appears to be decimating my pasture and the latter for control of other
such nasties.  Much of what I've read about these two species has been
positive but one response (on a different list) said to be careful using
these around children and pets that come in direct contact with the soil to
which they are applied.  Said that they can penetrate human flesh.  But other
than that one anecdote I have not been able to corroborate (sp?) this
warning.  I will be waiting for the USDA reply within the next five days but
wanted to put the question to this group also for positive or negative
results with these parasitic nematodes.  Any feedback is welcome.