permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A discussion about the Detroit renovation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jenny Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A discussion about the Detroit renovation
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

Yesssss!!! I LOVE what Andrew wrote! A 3-D garden metropolis, a la Bucky
Fuller and Richard Register (read "Eco-Cities"). Tearing down old buildings
to create cropland and parkland is great, but I even more love the idea that
we wouldn't necessarily need to expend the energy to demolish all the
buildings. Some of the buildings or at least their steel frames could be left
in place as a substrate for high-density urban agriculture. Polycarb sheeting
could transform these grids into greenhouses, allowing folks in this severe
northern climate to enjoy fresh food (and garden parties) year round.

Jenny, Austin Permaculture Guild

Jenny Nazak
Licensed Avatar Master
512-619-5363
www.TheAvatarCourse.com

"What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of
difference you want to make." - Jane Goodall

Avatar® is a registered trademark of Star's Edge, Inc. All rights reserved.

Andrew McSwain wrote:

Despite all of this, I must say that I really shat bricks when I noticed
that the abandoned buildings were filled to the lid with greenery spilling
out of every orfice. Moreso than just the gross dollar amount (which is
still a little too small for my liking) I was captivated by the the
long-time recurring day-dream of mine to see a full-fledged, food producing,
ecosystem intricately intertwined with a 21st century metropolis (complete
with a designated nature reserve on the periphery). How might we go about
doing something like this? That's the question.

The Buckminster Fuller:
As far as living spaces In the far future: i imagine a low-impact, three
dimensional web that stands above, or even within a full-fledged ecosystem.
Instead of inefficient and clunky concrete blocks skyscrapers filling
squared parcels of land for neighborhoods that effectively leave no room for
anything else but humans, we have massive self-sufficient buckyballs with a
hyper-efficeint internal personal transportation system and a cubic
grid-like structure to connect the buckyballs for personal transit and the
automated circulation of goods and energy... lol ^^

We create more order in our cities and living spaces, which gives more room
for disorder (nature) to grow into the spaces from we have since receded.

thoughts?