permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Skills Workshops in Western Washington

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marisha Auerbach <queenbee@herbnwisdom.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Skills Workshops in Western Washington
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 14:34:22 -0700

*PERMACULTURE SKILLS WORKSHOPS series....*

Join in the Great Re-Skilling!

One weekend per month, March - October, in Seattle, WA or Olympia, WA

Take one, take them all! Discounts for bulk registration...

Instructors: Jenny Pell, Marisha Auerbach, and special guests.

In this 7 month weekend workshop series, you will learn valuable skills that
will provide the foundation for sustainable abundance in your homes and
neighborhoods.

We are experiencing rapidly changing global economic and environmental
shifts that impact our everyday lives. Each of these workshops showcase
design elements that create decentralized, resilient, income-generating, and
biodiverse systems that provide for our most basic needs.

Cost: * One workshop - $195
* Some work/trade available
* Discounts possible for multiple workshops

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

The Only Constant is Change – Get Ready

*Eat Your Yard: Transform an Urban Yard to Permaculture Garden*
with Marisha Auerbach and Jenny Pell

*April 17 - 18 in Seattle, WA
*or*
April 24 - 25 in Olympia, WA*
10 am – 5 pm
$195

Imagine transforming an urban lawn into an abundant garden in a weekend!
This weekend, we will design an average urban yard to a diverse garden that
meets the needs of the inhabitants. We will discuss soil preparation, plant
selection, strategies for growing food in small spaces, and water saving
strategies. We will be planting annual vegetables as well as perennial
berries, edible flowers, medicinal herbs, and fruit trees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMpaWq4EKE&NR=1
<https://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/queenbeepermaculture/2010-03/%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMpaWq4EKE&NR=1%20>

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

*Design and Plant a Multi-functional Rain Garden*
with Marisha Auerbach and Jenny Pell and special guests

*May 15 - 16 in Seattle, WA
*or*
May 22 - 23 in Olympia, WA*
10 am – 5 pm
$195

In Western Washington, we get abundant rainfall in the winter and scarce
rainfall in summer when we need it most. In the winter, the excess water is
directed from impermeable surfaces, like roads, to the stormdrains. In this
workshop, we will reroute stormwater into an intentionally designed garden
with select plants that produce a yield and enjoy lots of water in the
winter as well as tolerate dry summers. We will inoculate our raingarden
with mycelium to remediate any contaminants from the roadside. This
workshop includes a discussion on working with the city for sustainable
retrofits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0r4weoUSgI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Xfa1rXwVQ

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

*
Design and Install a Legal Graywater Filtration System*
with Jenny Pell and special guests

*June 12 - 13 in Seattle, WA*
or
*June 26 -27 in Olympia, WA
10 am – 5 pm*
*$195
*
Everyday, each household dismisses slightly used water from sinks, laundry,
and showers (called graywater) to the sewer. This valuable water can be
diverted and re-used to water the garden. Graywater may have cleansers
and/or food particles in it: with intentional planning, these can be turned
into a resource for watering and feeding our gardens. We will design and
install a legal graywater system during this workshop, calculate the outflow
of water, discuss permits and legal issues, practice plumbing as we install
the system, and test it out! During this workshop, we will explore
different strategies to install a graywater system in your own home or
workplace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMpaWq4EKE&NR=1 (same video as urban yard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWB9DQLhIsY<https://lists.riseup.net/www/arc/queenbeepermaculture/2010-03/%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWB9DQLhIsY>

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

*Build and Install a Solar Hot Water Heater*
with Marisha Auerbach, Jenny Pell, and special guests
*
July 24 - 25 in Seattle, WA*
or
*July 31 - August 1 in Olympia, WA*
10 am – 5 pm
$195

In this workshop, you will learn how to build and install a solar hot water
heater suited for our climate. Solar hot water demands minimal sunlight to
heat water, making it a useful energy saving strategy for our climate. As
the costs of energy increase, solar hot water technologies become more
attractive. During this workshop, we will discuss the different options
available for incorporating solar hot water in your home in Western
Washington. We will design and build a low-tech solar hot water heater and
install it on-site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTO4aQZ9LI8
http://www.dr-stinky.com/solar.htm

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

*
Design and Install a Solar Air Heater*
with Marisha Auerbach, Jenny Pell, and special guests

*August 21 - 22 in Seattle, WA*
or
*August 28 - 29 in Olympia, WA*
10 am – 5 pm
$195

Home Heating costs are increasing. This workshop draws on the availability
of sunlight to heat our homes. Solar hot air heaters circulate air from
inside your home to a compartment outside oriented to the sun where the air
is passively heated and circulated back inside your home. These very simple
technologies are easy to make and require minimum sunlight to provide a
significant increase in indoor heat, as well as a significant decrease in
your heating bill. In this workshop, we will design, build, and install a
solar air heater together. We will have an in-depth discussion on how this
technology works and the variety of alternatives currently available.

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

*Winterizing Your Home: From Energy Audit to Installation of Energy-Saving
Strategies. For homeowners and renters.*
With Marisha Auerbach, Jenny Pell and special guests

*September 18 - 19 in Seattle, WA*
or
*September 25 - 26 in Olympia, WA*
10 am – 5 pm.
$195

This workshop will provide you with the step by step process for saving
energy in your home. On Saturday, we will begin with a full Washington
State Energy Audit revealing air leaks, phantom loads, un-insulated pipes,
and more. We will explore the many ways our site can save on energy costs.
You will learn how to use the tools of the trade to tighten up your home. On
Sunday, we will install the prescribed changes. This workshop will include
simple low-cost adaptations for the home owner or renter to reduce your
energy footprint and your energy bill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta89apfz2gw

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

*Putting up the Harvest: Food Preservation and Herbal Medicines*
with Marisha Auerbach, Jenny Pell and special guests

*October 9 - 10 in Seattle, WA*
or
*October 23 - 24 in Olympia, WA*
10 am – 5 pm
$195

Ah, the abundance of autumn in Western Washington! This weekend we will
address the diverse options for storing your abundant harvest throughout the
winter. We will discuss and try our hands at canning, drying, and freezing
your fruits and vegetables. Our herbal allies are included in this workshop
too! We will look at the various herbal preparations that you may want in
your home medicine chest, highlighting those herbs that grow generously in
our bioregion. You will receive a diverse collection of recipes and
formulas to keep you and your family nourished and healthy during the
winter.

Course details and registration: www.permaculturenow.com
Or contact Jenny Pell: (206) 949-0496, jennypell@gmail.com

Herb'n Wisdom
Queen Bee Flower Essences
www.herbnwisdom.com
www.wildthymefarm.com

"...the greatest change we need to make is from consumption to
production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of
us do this, there is enough for everyone.

Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on
the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food
and shelter." - Bill Mollison

  • [permaculture] Permaculture Skills Workshops in Western Washington, Marisha Auerbach, 04/04/2010