permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What makes a CSA successful?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wil and Megan Seiler <logboy@bordernet.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What makes a CSA successful?
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 22:54:57 +1000

It depends what you define as successful. Successful in the eyes of the world you can't go past FOOD CONNECT coming out of Brisbane, Queensland where I believe they have hundreds of weekly customers and have grey power deliveries to the customers and pick up from farms amongst others.

Success on a local level is best worked in local buyers groups and slow food networks (the genuine ones not the pretentious restaurant goers). It can even be a group of friends within a district exchanging vegetables and meat... thinking about having surplus and thinking seriously about how I can redistribute the surplus in the best way possible.(Fair Share) It doesn't need to be done on an economic exchange and can be seen in the old adage "what goes around comes around"

I think there is an undefinable aspect to it and I think it is wrapped up in the three ethics and the pathos within. Once people can "get it" more CSA's will become natural and second nature and the multinationals will hate it but have to give in... my fantasy anyway...

Megan Seiler
www.bottletreehill.com.au