permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Happy birthday?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Happy birthday?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:07:03 -0700 (PDT)

Happy Birthday, Keith,

Sorry tale about your father's retirement fund.  It could happen to my mother
and father-in-law too.

Some young friends visiting me, are busy turning their parents yard into a
food forest and have installed two 1500 gallon tanks for water storage.  They
are trying to make them prepared in case of an eventuality like your dad's.
This sounds like a nice way for children to help their parents prepare for
retirement.

Best wishes,

Michael Pilarski

Digging biomass pits in the city.
I recently talked to a young couple who live in south Seattle who are
converting their one-fifth acre lot to food production.  One of their
techniques is to dig big holes in the yard and fill them with hunks of wood,
wood chips, lawn clippings, lots of produce waste from a nearby grocery store
and other available organic matter. Their soil is a heavy clay with a clay
pan one foot down.  The excavated soil from the big holes provide raised
mound areas with a greater depth of aeration and better drainage overall on
the site. This aeration increases fertility. They plant fruit trees, berry
bushes and useful plants around the edges of the holes.  The crop roots have
access to the decomposing nutrients.  It is taking them a few years in their
spare time to gradually fill the yard with pits, fill them with biomass and
plant around them. A side benefit of this strategy is that there is more
water storage in the soil, there will likely also be increased
infiltration into ground water. This is another good strategy for a specific
soil type.  They have also bought two 1500-gallon tanks for roof water
storage and are conducting many mushroom projects.