permaculture - [permaculture] Happy birthday?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, openpermaculture <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>, PcAList <permacultureactivist@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Happy birthday?
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:10:58 -0400

I just turned 58. One of the "gifts" I received was the news that
my parents' retirement fund of $100,000 just evaporated as it was
misspent by an investment broker who has now gone bankrupt. My 86
year old father is now looking for work to pay their rent, food
and medical expenses.

I fear this kind of story will be repeated by someone near and
dear to you or you yourself. I cannot urge strongly enough that
you work to relocalize your food and economic security and join
(or start) a local Transition Town group. If you have not yet done
so, let this be the year you start growing your food or hire a
farmer to do it for you (a la CSA, Community Supported Agriculture).

The best time to plant an apple tree is five years ago. Don't
wait. I'm serious. Get the books and information you need to
survive and thrive. Preserve and store food! The government WILL
NOT TAKE CARE OF YOU!!! We must take care of us. Earth Care,
People Care, Fair Share. I will gratefully receive advice for help
in caring for my parents. Thanks. Keith

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."