permaculture - Re: [permaculture] saving the world via google and youtube

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] saving the world via google and youtube
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:10:27 -0700

Every few months, I feel it is my duty as a permaculture community
steward to try to wrap my head around the geeky side.

And once again, a thought pops into my head about how all permaculture
stuff could be nudged forward into the vision of the greater internet
community.

I have two more things to offer. Both of these have to do with an
add-on for your browser.

1) http://www.alexa.com/toolbar - every site you visit gets a vote
from you to alexa. And while the final numbers are poor because they
are easily influenced by things like .... a whole lot of permies
visiting lots of permies sites ... the numbers are starting to have a
powerful and significant value to search engines and the like.

2) http://www.stumbleupon.com - One of my articles had 700 extra
viewers in one day from these guys. So yesterday I installed it and
played with it. I find it really fun. But! To business: this
really popular tool appears to be under-aware of permaculture stuff.
Wouldn't it be great if non-permies became aware of more permie sites?
Put in the toolbar and give a thumbs up for your favorite
permaculture pages. Oh, and a tip: feed in only the very best stuff.

Just some tiny things each person can do to make the world a better place.