permaculture - [permaculture] Question for Paul Wheaton

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question for Paul Wheaton
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:49:29 -0800 (PST)

Paul, do you have any issues with me embedding some of your vids on my blog
site?  One of my next couple of posts will be about heating water with
compost at our new "house," and I'd like to start with that one.

http://www.smallbatchgarden.blogspot.com/

Couple of questions: how many yards of material are you thinking it would
take to do this?  How long does it take to "fire" initially?  I should know
that about compost piles in general, but I'm a lazy cold composter, so I
don't have much experience with building and firing larger piles.  And
lastly, do you know of anyone who's done this type of thing on a main hot
water domestic supply line?  Seems like if you heated your domestic hot water
this way, switching back and forth between two piles, that you'd end up with
massive amounts of compost within just a year.  Our new place in Georgia has
plenty of heavy red clay and weeds to turn into rich, deep, living soil!

Thanks,
Tripp

-Chinese proverb

>From wheaton.p@gmail.com Thu Mar 11 11:11:24 2010
> Paul, do you have any issues with me embedding some of your vids on my blog
> site?

I would like to encourage everyone to stick my videos in their blogs
and web pages. This stuff is important to me, and I am keen to pass
the word as much as possible. I like to think that someday "fast
food" would be all permaculture food. So when I travel, I can pull
over and eat a hot meal that is well aligned with my values.

And if I do something interesting, other folks in the community will
see it as a good, sound thing instead of something crazy.

So, YES, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put my videos in your web pages.

> how many yards of material are you thinking it would take to do this?

Let's see, a standard pickup truck bed holds a little more than one
yard I think. And if you heap it, you can sometimes get in a yard and
a half.

I would say "two yards" - but it depends on what kind of ingredients you have.

> do you know of anyone who's done this type of thing on a main hot water
> domestic supply line?

Jean Pain!

http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/1351_0/alternative-energy/jean-pain-method