permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and Civilization talk

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mitch Triplett" <mtriplett@bctonline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and Civilization talk
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:19:37 -0800

Hey Toby.

Had a chance to watch/listen over the weekend. Great presentation. This
summer, I'm hosting a tour of our property for a group of small woodland
owners - mostly older, mostly conservative, many of whom groan each time
someone says "sustainable". In addition to discussing our views of
'sustainable forestry', I'd like to do short bit on permaculture & maybe
plant some seeds in some minds. I'd like your permission to steal your bit
about 'unpacking sustainable' and destructive/regenerative practices, with
due credit of course.

What do you think?

On another note - Your tongue-in-cheek remark about classifying oaks as
invasive got a laugh. A few times over the last year or so, I've described
our desire to 'preserve' our few acres of oaks and have pointed out that as
far as meeting our goals are concerned, the Doug-fir that are encroaching
(and will keep working to encroach) could be called an 'invasive' species.
Try selling that one to a bunch of woodland owners & loggers.

Cheers.

Mitch Triplett
Tri-Pearl Family Forest
Member - CCFFA/OSWA & OTFS