permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question about Earth Homes, thermal mass and humidity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tripp Tibbetts <slowfoodguy@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question about Earth Homes, thermal mass and humidity
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:18:04 -0800 (PST)

Isabel,
I know of a an older, MUCH older, earth housing example in Macon, GA.  Have
you visited the Ocmulgee native monument?  Obviously I can't speak for the
actual living conditions in such a "house", but that area is ecotone central
- rivers, uplands, piedmont, coastal plain - and drew lots of interest from
Amerinds, way before dehumidifying HVAC systems (and books, shoes, and rugs).

Couple this with Paul's recent exposure of Mike Oehler's WOFATI techniques,
the old native hogans, and we MIGHT be onto something.  I'm considering an
addition to our little crackerbox down the road along these lines.  Anyone
with information about the lack of viability of such things should please
talk me out of this if it is a known disaster!

Good discussion, thanks!

Tripp

-Chinese proverb