permaculture - [permaculture] cast iron vid

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] cast iron vid
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:08:10 -0700

I just now noticed that my cast iron video has over 20,000 views!

http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12#p/u/20/K3hGxEpuY2U

It's also my oldest video.

And now I feel the urge to justify posting about this in the
permaculture mailing list. I think that there are a lot of permies
still using teflon. Mostly because they don't understand how to use
cast iron yet. Or why they might want to consider the switch. So I
wrote a rather extensive article:

http://www.richsoil.com/cast-iron.jsp

A lot of the response was disbelief. So the video was to show the
eggs sliding around the pan and the freaky easy cleanup.

The article covers some common myths about cast iron that might shock
even the most experienced cast iron users:

- it is okay to use soap. the problem with soap and cast iron
is with MAKING soap

- I advocate NOT using an oven to season cast iron, which is
quite contrary to the norm

Anyway, I just spotted the 20,000 thing and thought I would share the info.