permaculture - Re: [permaculture] steady state work music: any suggestions?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] steady state work music: any suggestions?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:43:42 -0500

Justin Hahn wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I like ambient music, so I'll check
out that website. I'd never thought of classical, but I'll have to try it
out.

I don't know what your temperament is but you want quiet and thoughtful,
try Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven chamber music, trios, quartets, quintets for strings and other instruments with strings. You will probably like these right off. Modern conterparts would include Stravinsky, especially Shostakovich chamber music, quartets and quintets (I should include these with the classical group, Ravel & Debussy, Satie, zHindeemith, Honnegger, the Finnish composer Aarvo Part,
Bartok (SQ's and trios for piano and strings. For ultra modern
Cage, Schoenberg, Berg and Feldman - you may like these. Then on to current works by Basinski and Hecker -- bordering on the ambient, freeform, strange & dreamlike. Modern American composers like Barber, Copeland, Schumann, Diamond, Ades: Tevot and Harris are exceptional.

These are actually in the ambient category bordering on house, space, electronic:

Steve Roach, Tim Hecker, Wolfgang Voigt, Gas, Fluxion
Vidna Obmana, Anuvida & Nik Tyndall, Reiki, Deuter, Nada Himalya
Tibetan singing bowls, Alio Die

And Indian Classical:

Ravi Shankar
Ali Akhbar Kahn