permaculture - Re: [permaculture] re. PermacultureUniversity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] re. PermacultureUniversity
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:49:46 +1100

The problem, as Bill found out around 10 years ago, is that you cant legally
copyright a word. That 'copyright' statement holds as much water as a bucket
without a bottom. He can copyright his books and writings, videos and other
works, but not the word permaculture, which is now firmly in the public
domain, in dictionaries etc. There was a subsequent attempt to trademark the
word which also failed, however Bills logo is protected via the TM symbol.
To keep control of the word it should have had the TM symbol next to it from
the first usage, but that opportunity passed by 30 years ago. BTW You'll
note that the word Keyline has always had the TM but this option cant be
applied to permaculture in retrospect.
Ciao
Robyn