permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question About Hugelkultur Mounds
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 01:38:47 -0500

Armed With A Mind Armed With A Mind wrote:
If so, would I be correct in assuming that
sprinkling wood ash over top of the cedar would mitigate the acidity?
And if this is true, would the ash be best spread on top of the
soil/manure which is placed on top of the cedar?

Be very careful and sparing of how much wood ash you incorporate into your garden soil. It is very easy to overdo it and create soil conditions toxic to plants. I think it is magnesium that is the culprit and it is very difficult and time consuming to correct such a nutrient imbalance. I knew someone who randomly dumped the ashes from his wood stove over a field for a good little while and eventually found that nothing would grow there. Took forever for it to return to normal.

Don't worry about cedar acidifying your soil. What is its pH anyway. Vegetables mostly like 6.2 to 6.5 and phosphorous is more available in that range.

If you must have raised beds contained with wood extending above ground then go ahead and use your rails for that purpose. This would be good for strawberries and blueberries. That's the best use I can think of for them.