permaculture - Re: [permaculture] any biologists out there?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Margaret & Steven Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] any biologists out there?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:14:12 -0500

Hello,

Water that is heated above 140 F/ 46 C is going to be free from microbial
activity, unless you have incubated some very unusual bacteria that make a
living in very hot sulfur laden water associated with vents in the earth.
Heating water is the traditional way to sterilize it. Think about Asia
where raw human waste is used in agriculture, thus polluting the drinking
water leading to the practice of heating the water before drinking it
leading to the tea culture. Heat kills baby! But domestic hot water should
not be delivered to the tap above 140 F because it represents a scalding
hazard. You can get mixing valves that will cool the water for delivery if
your system produces water hotter than that. Any system that is open to
atmosphere is of course open to contamination which is why wells are in well
casings and why they are drilled into rock, thus preventing contamination
from surface water, so any system you put together that is supposed to be
potable should be a closed system utilizing non corrosive materials.

Steven Eisenhauer
Eisenhauer Design Inc.