permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Additional software I can add at ibiblio for our use as a companion forum with different and enhanced features- any interest?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Additional software I can add at ibiblio for our use as a companion forum with different and enhanced features- any interest?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:02:57 -0500

paul wheaton wrote:

The simple machines forum software you are suggesting is exactly what
I use at permies.com.

While this list has 923 members, the forums at permies.com currently
has 5012 members. For the month of october, the forums at permies.com
had 29,150 unique visitors - the difference being that there are a lot
of people that read and don't post.

(we've actually had over 25,000 member accounts, but I've deleted most
of the accounts under suspicion of them being spam accounts)

That is the forum software to use or BBPress from Wordpress as an alternate or even add-on. I am really impress with Simple Machines and it is open source; a great software project. How did you deal with linking the install to a MySQL database, i.e the tables, etc.?

I am interested in this as a small forum, limited in purpose, i.e.
very on topic and well focused on permaculture, exactly like this list,
no endless threads about eco dog food, for example. Registrations for an account must be approved, not automatic and wait-and-see-if-they-are-spammers-then-delete-them; I will probably limit access to those who are already subscribed to this list and to those recommended by list members or ones I know already; I can use the email ID they provide to make sure of that; this automatically prevents access by spammers. So, around 1000 users max.

  • Re: [permaculture] Additional software I can add at ibiblio for our use as a companion forum with different and enhanced features- any interest?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/17/2009