permaculture - [permaculture] of ants and aphids

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] of ants and aphids
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:21:00 -0800 (PST)

I have seen many examples of how ants nurture aphids, but what I saw today
still surprised me.  The ants had built mud structures around my artichoke
plants (stalks and leaves) so that whitish ants that normally only colonize
the roots could feed on the plant’s green parts even in cold weather.  They
built delicate earth walls around the stalks to about a foot above ground and
started to plaster the artichoke leaves with mud to a height of two to three
feet. In the part they had completed, there was a narrow hollow space between
the plant and the mud walls so that the ants could circulate freely for
milking the aphids.

The ants also already nurture colonies of aphids on the citrus trees,
something they normally only do in March or April when the weather gets
warmer.  They also collected much of the wheat I had broadcast into the
fields.  Normally, I can broadcast seeds without soil cover from mid-November
because the ants stay underground during the winter.  I have never seen ants
that active by mid-December.

Looks like ants and aphids are adapting well to climate change. Are we?

Dieter Brand
Portugal