permaculture - Re: [permaculture] upland Mediterranean climate

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] upland Mediterranean climate
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:23:41 -0800 (PST)

Rain,

We are at the bottom of a small valley at 250 meters above sea level; the top
of our property is at 400 meters.  I don’t have the average temps, but from
my own measurements: we get about 2 weeks with max. temps of around 100 F.
With a clear sky (which is almost always during the summer) the temps drop to
60 to 70 F at night.  The max. temps didn’t increase this year, but we
already reached 85 F in March and still sometimes had 85 F in October.
During the winter, we get about 2 weeks with light night frost with 25 to 30
F when the sky is clear between mid Nov. and mid Feb. With cloudy sky, the
temps usually don’t drop below 50 F at night.  Daytime temps in the winter
are between 60 to 70 F.  We are about 10 miles inland from the Ocean.  People
closer to the Ocean or who don’t live in a valley normally don’t get any
frost at all.  In our valley, we had one year without frost in the last 10
years.  This year is warmer than usual and it
still doesn’t look like night frost.  We lost some of our citrus trees
during a particularly cold year when the temps dropped to about 12 F for one
or two nights.

I suspected that *waterline* wasn´t the correct English word, but didn’t have
the time for checking, and still don’t (sorry).  It is the lowest line at the
bottom of a valley where water may run for several days after strong rains.
It is the place with the most humidity where underground water may flow even
if no more water is visible at the surface.  We have one main valley and
three little side valleys.

Dieter