permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Borage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: LBUZZELL@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Borage
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:37:23 EST

Hi Amy,

Interesting question!

I'm Larry Saltzman's wife and new to the list. As most of you probably
already know, Larry and I have a 1/3 acre permaculture backyard food forest
in Santa Barbara, California -- and borage is a welcome plant at our house.
I'm assuming you've long since discovered that the flowers are delicious
and can be used in many ways as any edible flower. One neat trick is to put
one flower in each segment of your ice cube tray with water or juice and
when frozen add the resulting ice cubes to lemonade or other drinks.

I believe the leaves are also good raw, steamed or sauteed -- the whole
plant has a cucumber taste. It also self-seeds nicely, which we appreciate.

I'm afraid I don't know about the medicinal uses.

I'm looking forward to participating in the permaculture discussions.
Larry and I took our PDC from Larry Santoyo in 2006. I'm a psychotherapist
and
specialize in "ecotherapy" (_www.ecotherapyheals.com_
(http://www.ecotherapyheals.com) ) and "invisible systems" that involve
psyche, community and
culture. I'm also write a regular column for The Huffington Post on
ecotherapy, permaculture and other green issues
(_www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell_
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell) ). I also manage a
google group called "perma-psychology" that explores the connections between
permaculture and psychology.

Cheers,

Linda

Linda Buzzell, M.A., M.F.T.
Co-Editor, Ecotherapy: Healing with Nature in Mind (Sierra Club Books,
2009)
Founder, International Association for Ecotherapy
Editor, Ecotherapy News

_www.ecotherapyheals.com_ (http://thoughtoffering.blogs.com/ecotherapy)
Santa Barbara, California
(805) 563-2089
lbuzzell@aol.com

In a message dated 12/7/2009 1:09:23 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,