permaculture - Re: [permaculture] small attached greenhouse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kris kaul <kriskaul@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] small attached greenhouse
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:12:35 -0800 (PST)

I want to thank all the people who've answered my question about greenhouses,
including Scott Pittman and Lawrence London who each suggested alternatives
to cylindrical steel barrels for heat storage.  Stephen, thanks for your
suggestions also.  I was at CRMPI for a class in September and was incredibly
impressed with what Jerome and others have been able to accomplish up there,
both in and outside of the SHCS greenhouse.  If I did not have an enormous
Sugar Maple right behind where the greenhouse is to go, I would have loved to
try that here.  As it is, I'll have to rely on heat storage in the water
containers, the brick flooring, and the soil in the raised beds (which I
would guess will be too small/shallow to hold enough soil to act as a
significant heat storage mechanism).

On the other hand, not having as much heat storage in the greenhouse means (I
think) that more heat can be let into and stored in the house in winter, and
maybe some of that could be shared back into the greenhouse at night.  The
Solar Gardening book suggested earlier has also been very helpful in
describing ways to insulate the greenhouse against heat loss at night
(cut-to-fit foam panels, for example).  Thanks for all your input,

Kris
Ann Arbor, MI

--- On Sun, 12/6/09, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org