permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 18:27:59 -0600

This has been a very good exchange/dialogue on the 3rd PC Ethic - I
appreciate the contributions and the tone of each commentator - thanks to
all, especially to Robyn. I like her combo of historical perspective,
intellect, real experience, passion for PC and our planet, and her
wonderful, gentle way of saying tough things nicely. I've picked up a couple
of good pointers with this discussion thread. Thanks.

I, too, learned my PC ethics (Geoff Lawton & Patricia Allison) to be: Care
for the Earth, Care for People, and Create and Share a Surplus. I like the
addition of "Earth Care, People Care, and Fair Share" to give students a
good memory recall "hook" for the deeper, more profound discussion that goes
with the introduction of PC Ethics.

I find the 3 ethics as a great starting point to discuss the subject of
ethics - such a rarity in our modern world, organizations, and corporations
- in a fair amount of depth. I put Care for People 1st, as I was taught, to
point out that it if we did a good job of People Care, the Earth could do a
good/better job of caring for itself with less/little help from us. Then
using the 3 "Abbreviations" as their way to remember/recall it all.

I always add two additional ethics - sort of my own addition and "below the
line" - they are:

-The Intrinsic Rights of All Beings .......(to be, to prosper,
to procreate/endure), and

-To Conserve Resources......................(and reduce
consumption esp. in the West)

I also use "Fair Share" to explore the concept/ethic that every person,
region, group, etc. has the intrinsic right to have "1sts", that is their
basic needs satisfied, before others have "2nds" at the world's table. This
is a very good use of the surplus generated in ethic #3 - to help others, in
and outside their country/region, have basic needs met. It, of course, also
gets at the gigantic job ahead of us to move toward social and economic
justice in our region and the world.

After this discussion, I am going to try changing my Ethics chart to read:

1. -Care for Earth
2. -Care for People...[all of them]
3. -Create and share a surplus
-----------------------------------
4. -Conserve Resources
5. -Intrinsic Rights of All Beings

This addition will allow me to bring up Fair Share and social/economic
justice sooner and as a more mainline topic. This is important as
the locations that I teach/have taught - American Indian Reservations,
central Texas, coastal MA - have large local disparities in wealth, land,
resources, and opportunities that need inclusion in our APG PDC Course, in
addition to the disparities of other lands and people.

Thank you all again for the lively, insightful, profitable, affable
dialogue. Appreciate your gift. Happy Holidays.

Dick Pierce
6.